586,140 active members*
5,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mask On Arc Problem

Mask On Arc Problem

I've got a file where Mask On Arc won't work and I'd like to know why. The file is an imported Pro/E IGES file. I'd be happy to e-mail the X2 file if someone wants to try and figure out why Mask On Arc won't work on this file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercam User View Post
    I've got a file where Mask On Arc won't work and I'd like to know why. The file is an imported Pro/E IGES file. I'd be happy to e-mail the X2 file if someone wants to try and figure out why Mask On Arc won't work on this file.
    Do this:

Click: Create-Curve-All Edges

You mask the whole part and click DONE

Then delete all surfaces, and if you want, all splines.
    When you have done this you can "mask on arc" all you want.
    Stefan Vendin

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui Seiki View Post
    Do this:

Click: Create-Curve-All Edges

You mask the whole part and click DONE

Then delete all surfaces, and if you want, all splines.
    When you have done this you can "mask on arc" all you want.
    Stefan,

Create-Curves-On All Edges worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

Any idea why Mastercam requires this on an imported IGES file to get Mask On Arc to work? I already had all the surfaces on a different level and had them turned off and Mask On Arc still didn't work until I tried what you suggested -> Create-Curves-On All Edges.

This tells me that there were no arcs and just surfaces and maybe Splines. He had you creat the wire data from the surfaces you had.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If the IGES did not contain arcs, then there's nothing to select.

You could also create(change to ) a new layer and Create - Curves - All - Edges. Then you can just turn off the layer with the surfaces that you dont want to see.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    This tells me that there were no arcs and just surfaces and maybe Splines. He had you creat the wire data from the surfaces you had.

Analyze-Entity Properties. Arc Properties appears at the top of the dialog box.
    I think it's a bug with Mask On Arc. Want the file to see for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    If the IGES did not contain arcs, then there's nothing to select.

You could also create(change to ) a new layer and Create - Curves - All - Edges. Then you can just turn off the layer with the surfaces that you dont want to see.

Mike Mattera
    According to Mastercam they are arcs. Happy to send you the file. I think it's a bug in the Mask On Arc command.

can you give me the org Iges file?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

can you give me the org Iges file?
    Yes, if you agree to keep this file and any information in it confidential.

When I get in to my office tomorrow morning I will send you the original IGES file if you agree to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercam User View Post
    Stefan,

Create-Curves-On All Edges worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

Any idea why Mastercam requires this on an imported IGES file to get Mask On Arc to work? I already had all the surfaces on a different level and had them turned off and Mask On Arc still didn't work until I tried what you suggested -> Create-Curves-On All Edges.
    I don't know why.We have to do this all the time at work.
    We can't even measure the part without doing it.
    Stefan Vendin

Mastercam user, I agree to your terms. As I have to live by this daily for my company.

Mitsui Seiki , have your people at work thought of asking for native files or Step or para solid models.
    Iges is an ugly format. It works but there is much work in allot of cases.
    For one you can have many voids in the model by how the other software out putted the proper flavor of Iges. and mostly what you get are splines instead of lines and arcs.
    Cadcam

Ok I did find an issue. the file works fine without remaking the arcs. I am going to say that you are using a WCS just like I would and did . when I did the arc option only did a few of the arcs. BUT if you take and the part from the right side and Xform and rotate the geo instead of WCS the file works fine. So the issue at hand is the WCs seeing it in the new plane as it comes in as front.

So Xform to the new top and do the drill mask on arcs and all will work.
    Cadcam

Mastercam user, I agree to your terms. As I have to live by this daily for my company.

Mitsui Seiki , have your people at work thought of asking for native files or Step or para solid models.
    Iges is an ugly format. It works but there is much work in allot of cases.
    For one you can have many voids in the model by how the other software out putted the proper flavor of Iges. and mostly what you get are splines instead of lines and arcs.
    Thanks for the tip!!
    Stefan Vendin