586,724 active members*
3,766 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DM4800 help

DM4800 help

My company just recieved a Dyna Mechtronics DM4800 machine, with a Mitsubishi Meldas 5420AM. Now I am completely new to CNC, but I really want to understand it. We use Solidworks to design, and I have chosen SolidCAM as an output for g-code. My issue is of course the next step. What kind of realistic options do I have for either a. get the code to the machine and run it from the PC, or b. use the PC as a controller for the machine itself. I looked at Mach3, and Camsoft for the PC control, but since I really know nothing about the machine itself, I don't know how to get that hooked up.

Please help the new guy. I would greatly appreciate it.

That control is comparable to most Fanuc controls. It uses conventional G & M codes and has either 32K or 64K of memory. SolidCAM likely has RS-232 communications integral to the package that will allow you to transfer the files from your PC to the Mits control. To connect the PC to the Dyna, you will need a null modem cable.

True remote control of the Mits control is likely expensive. The control has some provision for it, but I think there is a lot of proprietary Mitsubishi stuff involved as that is intended for flexible machining cells.

If your files are small, you transfer them to the Dyna and the machine keeps them in memory until you erase them. If your files are too big, you will have to DNC/dripfeed from the PC a few lines at a time and the machine will execute the code as it is received.

ok, that makes sense. Thank you. Most of the items we are making are small so I am sure it can just store them, but there will be others that will have to drip fed. Thats the part I am stuck on, is the communication and connection the same, just slower?

Same RS-232 cable for memory transfer and DNC. Many folks prefer to use Xon/Xoff software flow control for file transfers to memory and use RTS/CTS hardware flow control for DNC. I have two Dyna VMCs with the Mits M3 controls and use software flow control for both DNC and memory transfers. My max baud during DNC is 9600, the Mits just can't seem to ingest the code and execute at any higher baud rate.

I use iWorkshop at the PC and Betatronics isolators to prevent ground loops and noise when both CNCs are connected to my PC.

Just an FYI, I have a thread on the DM4400. Even though it's a different machine, I believe the hardware is similar.

It's here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787

Can't help you with the electronics, but you still might find it interesting.

HTH,

Chris.
    List of parts sources for CNC builders - http://www.CNCsources.net
    Dyna Mechtronics 4400C Conversion - CNC bed mill w/toolchanger to Mach3 conversion - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787