586,131 active members*
2,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport s II interact II z-axis HEIDENHAIN

Bridgeport s II interact II z-axis HEIDENHAIN

BRIDGEPORT II INTERACT II HEIDENHAIN TNC151
    WHEN FIRST STARTING THE MACHINE UP I HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE Z AXIS
    FIRST WHEN GOING OVER THE REFERANCE POINTS AND HIT POWER ,CYCLE START IT WILL EITHER MOVE VERY VERY SLOW OR NOT AT ALL AND I DO TRY TO ADJUST THE OVERRIDE POT BUT STILL NOTHING SO I WILL HIT THE E STOP A COUPLE OF TIMES AND GO THROUGH THE SEQUENCE THEN EVENTUALLY IT WILL RESPOND AT THE RAPID RATE LIKE IT IS SUPPOSE TO.

THEN PROBABLY FOR THE FIRST 20 MINUTES TO HALF HOUR IT WILL INTERMINTALY ACT LIKE IT LOADS UP AND THEN DROPS QUICKLY MAYBE .250 TO .500 THEN USUALLY GET A GROSS POSITIONING ERROR AND I GET ANNOYED

BUT ONCE THE MACHINE WARMS UP FOR AWHILE I HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL RUNS THROUGH PROGRAMS AND MANUAL MODES AND HOLD TOLERANCES BUT I KNOW THAT SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT AND CONCERN ABOUT DAMAGE TO THE MACHINE

It may be the Z axis servo motor ...encoder or driver. But I would start by looking into possible binding in the Quill. Remove the Z-axis belt cover, with the machine power OFF. Turn the motor & belt to raise and lower the z by hand.....I just think this sounds mechanical if warming up helps the machine run . Good Luck. Please let us know what you find . thanks.

I'll give it a shot tonight thank you for the suggestion

I turned the belt by hand everything seemed to be fine no binding we put some contact cleaner in the encoder and so far no problems no positioning errors or fast drops

Hmm. Thats sounds a little odd. I have had this behavior with an encoder contact plug pins oxidized ....cleaned up the contacts and problems went away....I wonder if your contact cleaner did the same ?? Good to hear you have some luck. Please keep us updated. Not many around here are still running this machine. good to have your input.

re

This almost certainly sounds like an encoder issue, since it should not be able to move that much without emoing the control.

Ahh ...yes...I agree fully. I was focused on the sticking -moving issue...wasn't thinking of the fact that if that where to happen the control should read a gross pos error at least.

That encoder looks seriously precision I hope I don't have a on going problem with this since I do not have a spare one