586,077 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Fusion X2 Ballscrews, Y screw is too long.

CNC Fusion X2 Ballscrews, Y screw is too long.

Just fyi in case anyone runs into why they can't mount their Y screw.

My Ballscrew came over a little 1/4 inch too long and was hitting the X2 Mill base, after a quick grind, all was well.

Also CNC Fusion should ship Spanners for the spanner nut, as I ended up using large tools to get that nut on. But ended with teeth groves on the end of the shaft where I had to grind out smooth before I was able to attached the Heli-Cal coupling. From other threads I've read, CNC Fusion know about this, but I don't know why they don't fix it. I can't image it being an expensive tool. I would have paid the difference to have it in the kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG1396.jpg  

My kit I just got from them fit my X2 perfect. Although I've seen HF mill bases have large amounts of flash on them. I had to grind mine back because nothing fit it really. Including the stock screw would bind occasionally. Their kits was top quality on my install.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceballs_3000 View Post
    My Ballscrew came over a little 1/4 inch too long and was hitting the X2 Mill base, after a quick grind, all was well.
    I hope you didn't grind that 1/4" off of the BALLSCREW! If you did that, then you cut down the already miniscule X2 Y travel by 1/2 inch. Better to grind the base to make room for the ball screw end.

Also, you may need to install some kind of "hard stop" to prevent the Y ballscrew from coming out of the ball nut and spilling bearings all over the floor.

CR.

I had the same problem with Hoss' CNC conversion. The Y screw was too long according to his drawings. I just ground out a pocket in the base for the screw to fit. I think there is just a lot of variance in the 'flashing' of these as TheWolf stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    I hope you didn't grind that 1/4" off of the BALLSCREW! If you did that, then you cut down the already miniscule X2 Y travel by 1/2 inch. Better to grind the base to make room for the ball screw end.

Also, you may need to install some kind of "hard stop" to prevent the Y ballscrew from coming out of the ball nut and spilling bearings all over the floor.

CR.
    Yeah I didn't think about that until after I did it
    Oh well...

no need for hard stop, it hits the base and stops on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceballs_3000 View Post
    ...no need for hard stop, it hits the base and stops on it's own.
    Yeah, you're right! Been a while since I was inside the X2. I was thinking of the X3.

CR.

I'm having the same issue with the Y screw being too long right now. I think I will be making a pocket in the base to make room for the screw. I have the LMS mill with solid column and I bought kit #5 from CNC fusion. I think the solid column mill may have a little bit beefier base that is causing the problems.

~Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    I had the same problem with Hoss' CNC conversion. The Y screw was too long according to his drawings. I just ground out a pocket in the base for the screw to fit. I think there is just a lot of variance in the 'flashing' of these as TheWolf stated.
    Could be flashing but it also could be variance from one pattern to another. Considering the mass production status I would imagine that they have at least a couple of patterns around. This doesn't even get into machining allowance in the castings and the actual machining done.

I had the same issue with my X2/Large Table CNC Conversion project. The large base is a lot beefier than the X2 base. I cut a pocket in the large base and gave the ball screw plenty of room. Fortunately I was able to do it on the X2 as I converted the large table to CNC then mounted it to the column when it was working.