586,822 active members*
3,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle start problem

I'm trying to start/stop a spindle in Mach3 using relay board. I don't understand why it isn't working. When I do the "toggle spindle" routine on the diagnostics screen described in Mach3 set up manual I can get my wires to go from 0 to 3.9 volts, and the screen indicates "input 1 " as functioning, but it won't start the spindle. I've tried both active high and low settings. But when I hook up 5 volts, or even 3.3 volts, from a seperate source to the relay's 5 volt input (instead of the wires coming from my BOB), it works. Can anyone explain this or help me? Thanks!

If you drive the relay directly from parallel port then probably there is not enough current from parallel port to actuate the relay.

-ichan

spindle start via relay board

The relay requirese "5 volts". I tested it with a seperate power supply, one of those switch adjustable ones. It started at both 5 volts and 3.3. My meter says the wires coming off my BOB carry 3.9 V when switched "on" , but it is not starting the relay. Are not all volts of the same quality? I don't understand why this isn't starting. I"m not using a charge pump. I don't even know what a charge pump is. Do I need to use one to start 12 amp router with Mach3? Somebody out there must have a greater understanding of this than I do. It wouldn't take much I'm afraid!

spindle start via relay problem

Actually I tested voltage of wires coming of BOB again. They measure .09 low and 3.8 high. Could this be the problem, and how addressed?