586,403 active members*
2,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Stepper Doesn't work, what to do ???

Stepper Doesn't work, what to do ???

Hello,

I was working on my CNC X1 mill, and notice that my Y stepper wasn't working. So I played around with it for a while trying to get it to work, and noticed that a little bit of water was coming out of the opening where the wires insert to the motor.

I opened up the motor, and yup bingo there was corrosion & water. I did my best to to clean it out and even sucked the water out with a wet vac. I then tried the motor once more, got a little bit of a buzz and a little jerk from it when jogging toward me (just a jerk, probably not even .010 of a move). When I tired to move it again in the same direction (toward me), nothing (then became silent).

What can I do or should I call it a day ?

Thanks

I would call it a day before you cook your driver, if you haven't already!

How do I know if I cooked my driver (driver chip, right)?

Should I rewire another stepper motor ?

Maybe a wrong way, but if checked carefully it could run: check voltage and intensity of X stepper to math at Y port, then connect X stepper and check if driver recognize it and can run it. Then you will know if problem is in your stepper board or Y stepper.

Say it right?

I'm pretty sure it's the motor, but what should I do ?

Rewire another or wait until this one is dried out ?

You should at at least wait until the one is dried out, cleaned and the bearings oiled before trying it again. If you took it apart it most likely isn't going to go back together and work again though, not after the water and corrosion especially. A new one is likely in the works. No harm trying it though if you are sure it is in good enough order and dry so it isn't going to short out the driver.
    If you did damage the driver trying to drive the wet motor yesterday, you can figure that out by hooking up a new motor and checking it out, but hopefully it is fine.

Thanks guys, I just spoke with Dave at HobbyCNC and he said the board is probably in shut down mode. I guess the drive has a safety mode for this kind of thing, so I'm probably going to try and replace this tonight.

If you guys can think of anything else, feel free.

Thanks again for the help !

Chris

There's no commutator in a stepper, just coils and permanent magnets it should work under water quite happily.

The drive is usually constant current and shouldn't care what you plug it in to so long as it isn't a dead short.

Presume you have checked that the motor isn't rusted solid?

Perhaps there was something in the 'water' that broke down the insulation on the coils? Can you measure their resistance?

Perhaps the 'water' also got in to the driver?

Perhaps the water isn't the problem, you only noticed it when things went awry?

The worst contaminant in common use near electronics is orange juice

I finally got around to wiring up another motor, works great so far. Thanks guys !

Chris