587,004 active members*
2,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Precision???

Precision???

I recently bought a mill/drill (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44991)
    and cutters.
    The first few things i noticed:
    -using the drill chuck with a drill bit and the tip of the drill bit wobbles.
    Q: Any comon fix to fix this? I used a tool holder holding a cutter and turning by hand, it appears the machine shaft does not wobble.

-using a .625" cutter on hot rolled steel and everything vibrates - the cutter goes side to side, x axis wobbles front to back, etc. I noticed the "lead screw"?? kindof stays stable but the bearing on the end has play so the table wobbles. I tightened up the set screws and it only helped some. i also used a 1/4" cutter and plunging, the machine still wobbled.

Q: anyone use this machine and yours does not do this? Did i need to get a Bridgeport to even think of cutting steel accurately?

anyone build your own endplates adding thrust bearings to reduce the play as in my situation?

Hi: Caveat Emptor is the best advice I can give.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

THe mill you have bought is an X2, and you should post in the benchtop section. How deep are you cutting? Have you checked the ways for slop? If you havnt you should lap the ways, and tighten down the gibs. The Y axis on this mill does not have any bearings, so you might want to make some. Lock down all the axis that are not in use when cutting.

I have not tried my mill on steel yet, but I might try it just to see how good it is.

Q: anyone use this machine and yours does not do this? Did i need to get a Bridgeport to even think of cutting steel accurately?
    See what Hoss is doing with this machine....pretty impressive with a bit of tweeking...

http://www.hossmachine.info/

Bob