Quote Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
I hadn't thought about the tariff - I figured I'd only pay 5% GST. I guess I'd have to pay the 7% NS PST too (********!). What did you calculate your import duties as being?

I was also tempted to go to Princess Auto and ask if they'd be willing to knock a bit off the price - show them the HF price and explain that I want to drive down there but I'd like to support them instead. I buy plenty of crap there so it may be worth a shot.. if only they sold the X3!
The tariff code I listed is rated as 0% tariff on the CBSA website. I was very hopeful but just to make sure, I emailed CBSA to check if that was the correct one. I even lncluded a link to the X2 on the HF website. They emailed back saying that the information on tariff codes are on the CBSA website (I knew that because that is where I found the code in the first place). I guess that is our tax dollars at "work". The documet is at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...9/ch84-eng.pdf and the listing for 84.59.10.00 is on page 97.
I have heard stories of people that do the homework and then when they get to the border, the CBSA people say that is not the right code and then charge them some other rate (one guy I spoke to mentioned 16%). I think it all depends on if you get someone who is all gungho about collecting the maximum tax or someone who is just too lazy and will take your word on it.
I personally like Princess Auto because the people there seem to want to be helpful and I know that if anything were to go wrong, they would have no problem making it right.
The thing that got my attention is the 13 hour drive each way. I know the Civic is very good on gas but 26 hours...
In Toronto, we are paying about 1.14 / L. How much for you?