586,713 active members*
2,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ROTARY TOOLPATH

Attached is a part i'm trying to cut on our roatry using a fadal and mastercam 9.1. I'm not sure about the toolpath,I have heard of the rolldie c-hook,and also the multiaxis-swarf 5ax and msurf 5ax. Any advice????
    Attached Files Attached Files

What part of it do you need help with the groove half way around?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Yes, the groove and the rads(around the groove and the lead in rads)

Dpark,
    Is this what you are looking to do? I used multi-axis 4th axis rotary you can cut this the across or the along directions also surfaces work better for this in v-9.
    Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.blogspot.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotary cut.JPG  
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Can you also use a rough toolpath with the rotary 4th toolpath?(to step down)

dpark No there is not an option for step down in 4th rotary. I usually will do a Surface rough and index to a few postions then come back and do the rotary.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Here is my toolpath but I cannot get the path to look right.Any advice?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm a total nOOb at this stuff but it looks like you have the wrong 4th axis chosen. In MCX, the dialog for that operation has another option box for "4th Axis". You had the X-axis selected. I changed it to Z and it generated what I think you want (to rotate the die around as you cut the groove). I imagine that it's similar in MC9.

That may not be correct for the machine but it fixed the toolpath problem. I think something different has to be done with your toolpath origin and orientation, then select the proper 4th axis direction.

And thank you. By posting that, I was finally able to figure out if my license for MCX included the 4th axis as I was promised. I only got half of a 4th axis it seems (no solid simulation--wants another code).
    Greg

that can be done in either in standard 4th axis rotary under the multi axis or do 3d surfacing and use rotary option and use 3axis or Multiaxis5 can be done to.

I was working earlier a sample in V9 but had to run. wont be able to post till tomorrow.
    Cadcam

Dpark,

Go to Multi-axis parameter page the 4th axis button is about y, you have x. As far as roughing leave stock and do steps with multi axis 4 axis roughing leave a .25 then leave .125 and so on this works good.
    Steve
    [email protected]
    www.cad2cam.blogspot.com
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor