586,308 active members*
3,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc Tip code 8 cutter comp question

Arrow Fanuc Tip code 8 cutter comp question

I am looking to us a radius groove tool to turn an outside radius (tube groove) and I want to use Tip code number 8 to center the tool. The problem is that G41 or G42 shifts the tool to right and left, I need it to stay centered. Is there anyway to do so, maybe another G-code?? Is it possible?? Or will I have to use Double offsets and program it seperatly.

Tube groove? Could you please post a picture/sketch of this? Thanks.

Hello forget about using comp on the machine for this one. Write code that puts the tool where YOU want it.

This is an almost finished part. I used tip code 8 and G41 for one side of radius and G42 for the other side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tele 500 tube groove.jpg  

If you're OD contouring TOWARDS the chuck, your tool needs to be offset RIGHT (G42); going AWAY from the chuck, the tool needs to be offset LEFT (G41). You can use T3, T8, T0 or T9 for this, it just depends on where you set the tip nose when you touch off the tool.

The most common method of setting Geometry Offsets is to touch off the leading edge of the insert to the face of the part, and the "bottom" edge of the insert to the OD of the part (or to the Q-setter if you have one). If you do this with an OD tool, by default you've established "Imaginary Tool Nose Number" 3. Put a 3 in the T value for that tool offset, and the radius in the R. IMHO, this is the safest method, because you always know where the edges of the tool are going to be when you rapid up to or away from the part.

If you want to use Imaginary Tool Nose Number 8, either move Z- 1/2 the insert width before you do your Z0 - MEASUR (if you don't have a Q-Setter) or use the INP+ to adjust the Z geometry offset after the fact.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tip Nose Number 3, 8, 0 Comparison.jpg   Tool Geometry Offset Difference for T 3, 8, & 0.jpg  

Thats how I went about it. I was just curious if the maching could do the entire radius in one move using cutter comp. I just roughed it manually, and finished one side of the radius to center with G42 and then repeated for the other side G41. I am interested in those images you posted though, I could not see them when I opened them.

Thanks

Yes you can do the entire profile using cutter comp. When I click on one of the images in my earlier post, it opens right up. What happens if you just click one of them?

It is really blurry and I can't read it.. could you e-mail them to me?

[email protected]

I got the images. they look good. Only thing is that it seems our controllers or codes are slightly different. I am kinda new at this but my fanuc 10 t requirements for radius seem different (G3 X1.00 Z-.015 R.015 F.002).. Or is
    G2 Z-.0375 K-.125 proper way??

Thanks so much for you help..

You can use R for the radius value (if the total angle of arc is 180 degrees or less) or I and K for the X and Z distance from the start point to the center. Either one works.

Thanks

Thanks.. I appreciate your help!! :banana: