586,103 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner 4 centurion 4 hooking up to single phase power

Partner 4 centurion 4 hooking up to single phase power

Hello,

How do I connect single phase power to my mill. I have read that the only thing that needs 3 phase is the spindle, also that people have hooked the single phase to the L1 and L3 inputs and not connected anything L2. I bought a Hitachi X200 to run the spindle. I just want to make sure that I won't blow anything connect the power this way.

I connected the wiring as i read could be done to L1 and L3. The computer and everything appears to power up, but I get an Error 04 Em Stop when I try to grid the machine. The motors do not lock up but the drivers appear to get power. Attached is a picture of the drivers, there is one led on each driver that lights up, I don't remember seeing these on when I checked the machine out where I bought it. One other thing, I left the 3 wires connected to L2 untouched, should they be moved and powered by l1 or l3 now.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well I got an answer elsewhere that power should be hooked to L1 and L2 and leave L3 open, tried that and the computer would not power on. I also tried a jumper so L1 L2 and L3 all had power, the computer would boot but the drivers still do not power on, I have tested all the transformers and everything is getting power. Does anyone have suggestions that has maybe done this before? Thanks

Get a 5hp or larger phase-converter.

I was wondering about your second post. Are your parameters loaded. If they are not,
    the machine will error as you have noted and there will be no movement on the axis's or
    spindle (if you have the yaskawa vecter drive).
    Some of these controls had battery backup, some did not. If you don't or your battery
    is dead then you lost parameters when you powered down and moved.
    Just a thought,
    Ben

All the parameters are still loaded, that was the first thing I checked. I don't believe I have a yaskawa spindle drive. The mill is just the standard 4,000 rpm. I am just not getting power to the servos, with the cover off I can freely rotate the motor, also Only every once in a while the LED shown in the picture will light up on the drives but still no power to the motors. I am not sure what the LED means when they are on.

I get the same alarm if I don't push the reset button down after turning the machine on.
    I've spoke to others about the Centurion IV and none of us have ever seen the machine
    wired directly with single phase power. If you do manage to get the machine
    to run with the sinlge phase, please post what you did, so as to help others.

ben

Well, Since my manual didn't include the wiring schematics ( must have been taken out and given to the companies maintenance dep. or something) I spent a couple hours and traced all the wiring that goes to everything and think I may have figured It out, the wiring is now all connected to the L1 and L3 lines and the VFD is now wired to provide spindle power. Only thing I am waiting on is a blown fuse, then I should know if it works. The only issue I can see now is still the servo drivers 110 side, If they still don't lock up i will provide power directly from a standard outlet.

I got the replacement fuses in the mail yesterday and powered the machine up. Everything works great. Now I am going to see if I cant come up with a way to wire the VFD so the original speed control works.