586,471 active members*
3,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Automated Coolant Nozzles...

View Poll Results: SpiderCool or No SpiderCool?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...the system is very beneficial and worth investing in.

2 7.69%
  • Yes...if it didn't cost $2k I might buy one.

2 7.69%
  • Not sure...need more info.

9 34.62%
  • I've been getting by fine with my standard loc-lines or TSC.

7 26.92%
  • No...I see no benefits worth investing in yet!

3 11.54%
  • Dude...quit wastin' your time and get out!

3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Automated Coolant Nozzles...

After nearly a year of representing SpiderCool and trying to spread the word here I have found mixed opinions about the product...overall, I felt the obvious benefits would be better recieved in the machining community than they have. I was impressed...but not everyone appears to have the same opinion. So far, only one individual took me up on the basic system(which I made 0$ on good faith) and in return he posted an honest review in the Milltronics section (which I thought would help). He did a great job and is very pleased with it's performance so far. So... why isn't it generating interest? I have no idea. So, I decided to ask everyone:
    Are Automated Coolant Nozzles actually beneficial and worth the investment? Or, should I give up representing the product even though I believe in it?
    Jaime M. Boxell Productionpal, Inc. Authorized Distributor of SpiderCool Systems
    (763) 412-5486 or [email protected] http://productionpal.googlepages.com/home

To me the adjustable coolant nozzles are a solution looking for a problem; but to a large extent the problem does not exist. I have several machines with programmable coolant nozzles, some do not work, some do, but we do not use them. With a high volume coolant pump we simply have banks of nozzles covering every different tool, and have them covering front, back and righthand side.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have machines with and without programable coolant and I would say they both have there place.I don't have SpiderCool so I can't comment on them,but I do know that alot of the jobs we do, there can be anywhere form 5-15 tools,and loc-lines just don't cut it.I think programable is the way to go for the most part,but only if there is a real nead for it,ei alot of tools.As for them being worth buying aftermarket,I don't know,only becouse we all get used to how the machine came new,if that makes sence.

my company doesn't have any programmable nozzles. But as already said, our machines basically lay down a huge curtain of coolant, and have huge sumps, so it works that way.

Like Goef, I direct coolant lines to hit in key areas on every tool being used. However if the coolant system that your offering is of good quality the uses in High Speed Machining are more valuable than short production runs.

Everything has a place and every tool has a purpose. Remember too that many shops are looking for cold air cooling because of the problems in waste handling, and thermal shock.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

we have several haas with programmable nozzles, but have since changed them over to cool air guns, no moving parts to fail, and air is cheaper, plus we get alot more back on our tailings when we recycle.

Most recyclers charge a haz fee due to having coolant coated tailings, so, to eliminate that, we saved over 1500 a month just by purchasing a 300 buck air gun that blows super cold air over the tool, as well as move the chips out of the way.
    I don't think the owners will ever go back to liquid coolants ever, and some of the other local machine shops have caught wind of the windfall that can be gained when using just air to cool and move chips.

JMHO

http://www.neardrymachining.com/Vide...rCoolShort.wmv

Here is a video of SpiderCool partnered with an accu-lube MQL system for "near-dry" machining. It will also clear the table of chips at the end of a cycle. But I wonder if the advantages are enough to warrant spending $2k if a $300 nozzle will do the trick. What about multi-tool set-ups with various lengths of tooling? Back to manual adjustments between tools again? And how do you ensure proper adjustment? The SpiderCool/Accu-lube system has a laser pointer integrated in the nozzle to precisely aim the air. What materials can be machined with this process anyway? What materials can not be machined this way? I think I need more help understanding who can benefit from a SpiderCool and who not to bother with it...according to the POLL so far, it looks like people might like one if it was less money or they knew more about it- I didn't think shops would bat an eye at $2K if it meant more up-time on the spindle and longer tool-life. If you had four older VMC's with SpiderCools installed resulting in say 30% more production per machine...wouldn't that be like adding a fifth machine? 4 x $2K= $8K. Where can you buy a decent machine for $8K? This line of thinking is what I thought would allow SpiderCool to flourish in hard economic times. But, I must be missing something in regard to a shop owners thought process. Again...any input(pos or neg) is greatly appreciated. This poll doesn't indicate that I should give up on trying to sell them- which is good I guess, because my card was declined going through McDonalds last week...LOL!
    Jaime M. Boxell Productionpal, Inc. Authorized Distributor of SpiderCool Systems

Link

Your link is not working.

John

Sorry...I just tried this one and it worked.
    http://www.neardrymachining.com/Vide...rCoolShort.wmv