586,637 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series 1 Overhaul

So I posted this thread a while ago: http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29579

I held off on the Grizzly. Since then I was given this Bridgeport CNC with some extras in a box:

I was told it worked last time it was used, but would often blow a fuse. I'm relatively new to CNC and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get this running again. You can see some rust on it. It's a little worse now as I haven't had a chance to look at it since summer.

First obstacle for me is the lack of 3PH here. Are there any converters I should be looking at?

We had to angle the head in order to clear the garage door.You can see the new wood around the garage door. I put a hole in the wall and installed the door a few days before just to get the machine in.

Thanks you.

YES! Don't buy a phase converter, build one. They are very simple, as easy as a momentary switch, capacitor and a 3 phase idler motor, that's usually what you get when you buy one. Or you can use a relay and push button station like I did, push the button to turn it on, push the button to turn it off. Search ebay for phase converter plans, should be about $3 and no engineering degree required. And I would update that mill to Mach 3, wouldn't dream of using the existing control. Good platform though.

Smile

I basically agree with Motorsports I have a series 1 with a BOSS 9 control which is still usable but I have a series II with an Ajax retrofit which works much nicer and is much easier to use. So what ever type of retrofit, I would recomend updating the control to a modern interface.
    As to the three phase problem, I would recomend checking out a VFD (variable frequency drive) which can take single phase input and output three phase with the ability to control spindle speed. If you retrofit the controls, they will probably run on single phase so the only thing remaining on three phase would be the spindle, but you would have to check out the specs on what every equipment you are looking at. The possibilities are almost endless, the hardest part is narrowing everything down.

Smile

You could always give the machine to me

I have the same unit and I too removed the original controls put a Hillbilly BOB on it and use Mach 3. It works fantastic once you learn a bit about the machine and setting up the voltages.

It is very important to set the correct axis voltages or you will blow the transistors!! So many posts on that problem in here!

I have a 30HP phase converter I bought that works great, as I have another huge Gorton mill (15hp spindle motor) and a older lathe.

But you may seriously want to consider putting a VFD drive on the unit instead of using a phase converter unless you plan on running other 3 phase equipment. That way you can just plug 220 single phase into the drive and power your machine and have speed control at the same time. Lots of posts in here on doing that as well

him but advisable it is to use a VFD for the motor of 3hp, to change the the controller or rather to make retrofiting I use geckodrive for the steper motors and supercam cnc controller

him but advisable it is to use a VFD for the motor of 3hp, to change the the controller or rather to make retrofiting I use geckodrive for the steper motors

You might want to focus on getting the machine working first before you do too much work to it. This will allow you to make sure the iron is indeed in good shape. I am in the process of retrofitting the same machine with mach3, but I have been running the boss conterol for a while. Let me know if you need some help with those old controls, gcode, etc.

Brian

I know this is an old thread, but I'm still working on this project and I'm just starting to make progress. I had to re-arrange the budget to account for a new driveway and removal of a swimming pool.

The rust was not bad at all I started removing the cabinets.

I'm ready to buy a VFD and I was wondering if this would work or if anyone has any recommendations: http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...0-022NFU2.html

Quote Originally Posted by AbleGear View Post
    You might want to focus on getting the machine working first before you do too much work to it. This will allow you to make sure the iron is indeed in good shape. I am in the process of retrofitting the same machine with mach3, but I have been running the boss conterol for a while. Let me know if you need some help with those old controls, gcode, etc.

Brian
    I haven't really done anything with this in a few months, but I know it was working aside from the fuse problems. It would run for a while, then quit.

Is there anything from the old controls I should be keeping or does the VFD/Gecko combo replace it all?

The old control hardware seems like it's in decent condition and I would hate to throw it away if someone else could use it. I have the original tape reader also.

Edit: I found the box with the original manuals and schematics. I'm also looking at the ajax kits.

Since my last post here, the keypad went out on my BOSS 9 so I replaced that with another Ajax setup and it is much nicer to use. I could try to snap a couple of photos of what it looks like inside but basically I gutted everythign with the exception of the main switch, the main fuses and the spindle contactor which would not be needed if you put a VFD on.
    It looks like the VFD should work for basic control of the spindle motor but you might want to figure out what kind of controls you want to use before you buy. It has been a while since I looked but that looked like one that I was looking at but it is not supported with the Ajax controller. (it might even work with the Ajax, they just say they don't support it) They have a couple that they recommend which I think they are on their web site. If you want to do rigid tapping and program in different speeds for different cutters, they having a VFD that works with your controller is a must, otherwise you can just set the speeds when you change cutters etc.