586,126 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle encoder

I need to replace the spindle encoder on my 1996 15-XT. Its a 7500 rpm spindle with the Baldor motor. Has anyone here ever replaced one? Is it a simple job? are there any tricks or issues with alignment that I should know about?
    I have the air filter off and can see the encoder but when I remove the 4 bolts the encoder does not come off.

Thanks,
    Mark Hockett

Oh that sucks Mark.....
    Sorry to hear.

Yea Jim I was just finishing up that mold that I sent you the drawing of a while back. Second to the last cavity and I could only get about 6500 RPM out of the machine, any higher and it would start surging. The new encoder just arrived today and cost $100.

Mark Hockett

You know Mark, We could prolly start at machine repair business....

Jim,
    That must be where the money is. BTW I installed the encoder, which took about 15 minutes, and everything is running great now. I think the mist from the coolant must have gotten to it as it had some residue in the housing.

Mark Hockett

We had the same issues and just cleaned the disk with a paper towel and voila it has worked well for the last 9 years

carbidecraters,
    I was going to try that but I didn't see the two screws that held the cover on, they were hiding under the wire harness. I tried to remove the whole mounting plate which damaged the sensor so I had to replace it. The new one came with installation instructions and the tools to replace it. It was a very simple job.

Mark Hockett

quick tip for this , I added a standard automobile air filter to the tops of all my motors and have not lost an encoder since. I just took a cheap piece of PVC cut a circle used it for the top and sandwiched the air cleaner between the end of the motor and the PVC cover, it works great in keeping the crap out of there

My Fadal has an automotive style air filter, it came from the factory that way.
    The filter was pretty bad so I just replaced it.
    Mark Hockett

The factory service guy recommended to us installing that filter on top of the motor to keep the encoder clean and trouble free, and we did. Cheap insurance for the encoder IMHO.

Which reminds me, need to change that filter...checked it the other day and it was dirty, so we picked up a couple of spares. When you consider that they're sitting right there in the mist and fumes, and the fan is suckin' in that stuff and sending it down the innards, it's no wonder.

I know a Haas guy who's spent $700 twice to replace his encoder, he loved the idea of the car filter!!