587,033 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > "Off the Shelf" Benchtop CNC Mills
Page 2 of 2 12

Arrow

Ataxy, we can't help a member make a good choice if we have large areas of subject matter - dogma - that we can't touch. If you mention flaws in the X2, EVER, in ANY context, no matter how politely, you'll just draw this crap out again. Those dealers who swear the X2 spurted directly from Gods loins will just cause major problems and attack. Again. As usual. I can't find anything useful in letting them have their special immunity to toss around obscenities, death threats, personal insults, and slander, but as long as they do the moderators should probably just quietly give them the free pass to do it and ignore its happening as they usually do. No reason to get in the middle now unless you plan on actually doing something about it.

What???????:nono:

Funny, but I count 4 posts here by stepper monkey, so far, slamming X2 owners
    trying to instigate a fight.
    I have yet to see a single post here of someone making overzealous claims about the X2.
    I see many different types of mills suggested to Jeff including the 12 links that I provided. The X2 wasn't one of them, it doesn't meet his need of 9x5x5.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Somebody needs a time out. Good thread with some good suggestions otherwise.
    Concerning the X3, Syil is working on making that machine even better. They had some bumps in the road to start with. There are many threads on here that concern the X3 and the Super X3.

I have an X2 manual that helped me build my own cnc mill, so they aren't as described so far in this thread. I didn't cnc it because of size and all the reworking that would have needed doing. That and the fact it basically takes a mill and sometimes a lathe to even attempt your own build.
    I did use the spindle head from an X2 and I swear it was spurted fro.........
    Lee

In January of 2005, we ordered a Taig LE (or whatever it was) CNC and a couple seats of BobCad for our small aftermarket auto parts business. My friend and I had ZERO experience with either CAD or CNC machining, and dove in head first.

Two years later, I've beginning to lose count of how many times over the Taig has paid for itself. It now has a 6000 lb Milltronics CNC sitting next to it, for the "bigger" projects. Even with a machine that could literally cut the Taig in half while laughing about it, the little mill proves itself useful on a daily basis for smaller projects, requiring both less setup and cleanup time. Point blank, this tool earns its keep.

Is it a great machine? No, if you're expecting a miracle. But it is indeed a great machine, when kept within its realistic envelope. I imagine that's the case with any of the aforementioned machines, or any machine period for that matter.

As mentioned by another here, and if you're anything like me, you'll immediately find a need for more work area. But if you keep your thinking "inside the box", you can do a lot with a benchtop mill.

We cut nothing but ABS plastic on the Taig, with occasional UHMW, HDPE or Delrin parts. I no longer waste my time with aluminum, but that's only because I don't have to anymore. The big machine gets called into play for that. However, if you have the time, it can work with metal.

Back on that cold day in 05, we cut our first test pieces ("micromill" canned engraving program and a canned drilling cycle) within 4 hours of opening the crate.

The real negatives to the machine are that it is small, weak, and not rigid. However, what can one expect? As previously stated, stay within the machine's limits and you'll be rewarded...

...over and over.

Hope any of this proves helpful to you. I plan to run my Taig into the ground, and then will likely replace it with a Tormach or equivalent at that time. My Milltronics will certainly also get a bigger brother, sooner or later.

Big or small, making chips = making money. We didn't heavily mod our Taig. Added the High Tech Systems rapid tool changer (a video of my machine is the 2nd one on their site's "videos" page, fwiw), a nice tooling plate and decent tooling. We also added a mister that is never used. Run it with Mach3, using the stock controller and steppers.

-Alan

Speedofsound, very good post.

I have several pieces of metal working equipment and can't seem to find enough.

The common phrase around my place is

It would be easier if I had ........

It would be better if I had .......

Etc, etc.

I have 2 lathes and 4 mills and always want to get a new something that would make life better.

No Stepper, none of them are Taig or Sherline. Nor are all of them chinese. and yes the tormach can be a benchtop model. You just have to have a sturdy base.

Hoss, regardless of what anyone says, we appreciate your contributions to this forum. I am sure that whatever mill you had chosen, you would have still done the same with the content and modification ideas you have given us all.

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    Speedofsound, very good post.

The common phrase around my place is

It would be easier if I had ........

It would be better if I had .......
    Thank you. I'm transitioning from n0oB to novice, and things are really getting fun. The Taig made it all happen, so it's earned a "soft spot" with me.

If I had my way and the necessary liquidity, our shop would now have a 5 axis mill, a beefy 4 axis, a water jet, a 3D printer and large scale laser scanner. That's not asking for much, is it?

yeah Hoss, go buy an x3 so I can make all the cool stuff you will make for it with much less effort than it would take if I had to come up with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pzzamakr1980 View Post
    yeah Hoss, go buy an x3 so I can make all the cool stuff you will make for it with much less effort than it would take if I had to come up with it myself.
    He has certainly taken the base mill and made something out of nothing. I'm not sure there is anyone on this site that has contributed as much and put as much time and thought into "projects". And even more, shared them freely. Rather than to quickly patent them and hide in the money bin like most others would do. lol....

Thanks to him and the people that own and manage this board. :rainfro:

Smile

Thanks again guys for the info/opinions!!!!!!!

Especially Hoss for the links and other stuff......

And a wonderful post by Sound......

Like I've said before, this site is a wonderful resource and the information
    is PRICELESS !!!!!

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 12