586,973 active members*
4,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by katiebo View Post
    .... The other concern I have is the tool changers capacity. 10 tools is not alot and I think it would be easy to have a need for more.
    Just waiyt.

There is a thread with some comment about a Side Mount toolchanger on the Super MiniMill I think, will be introduced at Westec; 16 tool capacity or more.

I wish I had know three months ago when I ordered my latest SMM.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I read that thread also. I spoke to my Haas salesman last Friday and he wasn't sure of the introduction date. I hope it will be available on regular Mini as well.

Talked to my Haas rep today he just returned from the Factory, Haas is not adding a side mount to the Mini Mill line, what they are doing is making a new machine that is mix from a Super Mini to a VF-2. It will be a 10K standard 20-24 side mount tool changer built on the foot print of a Mini Mill, should be at WESTEC!

Quote Originally Posted by timan View Post
    .....a new machine that is mix from a Super Mini to a VF-2.... built on the foot print of a Mini Mill, should be at WESTEC!
    I am tempted to blow a few hundred bucks and go look at it; 30 inches of X travel in the foot print of a Mini will be quite a feat.

Rep just called and it will be at Westec, he thought it was 25" of X travel? I too may have to go take a look!

Rep just called and it will be at Westec, he thought it was 25" of X travel? I too may have to go take a look!
    If you do go, please take some photos and post them. Increased travels and greater tool capacity would probably get me to jump up to the Super Mini.

Very interesting.

I just checked the dates; March 31 - April 3. Decisions, decisions.

Well, I surely like the sounds of a SMTC on a SMM sized machine!!

Geof, I have a technical question for you. I have been going over the stats on the Mini and the Super Mini. The extra RPM is a big bonus, I know. My concern is that the Mini weighs in at 33 ft-lb@1200 RPM and the Super weighs in at 17 ft-lbs@4600 RPM. Since you have both, I thought I would ask you. Even though the Super has 2 times the HP have you noticed anything you can run at the lower end of the rpm range on the Mini that you cannot on the Super?

I only ask because I tend to run a wide variety of materials through our Mini and in doing so, tend to use the entire RPM range from tapping 1/2-13 holes in steel to 1/32 end mills in brass. I guess what I am saying is, it would be nice to have the higher rpm range. But am I not going to be able to run a 1/2 inch tap in steel anymore to gain the higher rpm? BTW, I do realize that I could threadmill that, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you about engineers and their wonderful abilities at wanting thread engagements of 4X+.

To the other person who mentioned getting a top for the Mini, I just wonder why? I have been running ours for the last 2 years, using the high volume coolant pump, and haven't had any problems with over-spray out the top. Lots of evaporation for sure, but nobody getting doused with chips or coolant.

Gizmo