586,250 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Newb still not getting it.
Page 1 of 2 12

Newb still not getting it.

Several of you have given me some great advice already, but I don't "Get it" yet. Any chance someone could pull down my MCX file and fix what I'm doing wrong? I've attached the part file, the mcx file, an image of what its supposed to look like, and what in looks like when I simulate it.

1. The first (outer countour) is ok.
    2. The second needs to ramp into the work from the right, and I can't get it to do that. It just plunges in.
    3, The third countour is supposed to be an open pocket, which ramps into the work. Couldn't get that to work, and got all sorts of odd error messages.

The waste stock is to the Right of the part, and I did it this way so that the final op would be to cut off the stock, minimizing secondary ops.

If you are willing to edit the file, it would probably take 2min for somebody who knows the ropes. That way I can learn from the actual code - Picture worth 1000 words and all that!

Thanks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled1.jpg   Untitled3.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't open your MCX file (you must be on a newer version than me). And you didn't say what cutters you're using. I'm assuming that you are using a ball-end mill for the edges of that pocket.

Are you using a 'pocket' or a 'profile' for that inner web? It looks like you used 'profile'.

There is a button in each operation dialog for the entry move: RAMP. You can choose a number of entry options to minimize the plunge angle.
    Greg

see if this is what you want

Are you actually trying to program from that attached DXF? It looks like a 2D profile when I open it in Solidworks. I hope you're using at least a 3D wireframe, if not a solid.
    Greg

I just used the 2d wireframe ...I figured he could reset the cut depths as needed

Here is quick and dirty. sense it was 2d falt did not know depths.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll check it out. For more info from your alls comments,

I did post it with a 2d DXF, but the Mastercam file has the stock size in it (it seemed to have problems with the solidworks file, and the part is simple so DXF worked better). I'm using a .0625 ball end mill (the part is tiny).

I do have one of the inners as a contour instead of a pocket, because I got errors trying to do it as an open pocket, and it wouldn't ramp. The error message said something about not being closed and having to do roughing, but I didn't understand that.

I'm rebuilding my windows "side" (dual booting a Mac), so soon as I get that done I'll try it. Thanks!!!!! I know this is probably very simple, but its been driving me nuts for weeks. I have a Mastercam book, watched tutorials etc, and can't seem to get it. Once I get over this "hump", all my other parts I'm trying to do are similar, so this will get me off and running.... here's what the parts go to - a variety of scale working landing gear for small R/C warbirds. These are almost complete except for the dang drag links I'm tring to make (rest was done without cnc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2425.JPG  

My file I used the open pocket. if you need more info let me know.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well, for grins, post the Solidworks file and I'll see if I have the same problems. We're in the same boat (Solidworks / Mastercam).

I usually import the Solidworks file, then set the stock boundary around the part, plus whatever margin I want for stock allowance. I ask it to generate lines and points with the stock. I use that stock perimeter as the basis of my work offset.

If you start with good 3D, you can load all of the geometry depths with mouse picks instead of remembering dimensions.

And keep in mind that you can do things like click the depth button, click on a line that defines the depth and have it load that into the dialog field. from there you can click into that field and do arithmetic. If you wanted to change a drill depth to be a bit more shallow, you could click in there and type +0.050 after the number and tab to the next field. Mastercam will do the math for you--adding 0.050 to the field's value. It's very useful.

I suspect that your biggest problem is making friends with the WCS settings. I too am working on making peace with the tool plane / construct plane thing.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Well, for grins, post the Solidworks file and I'll see if I have the same problems. We're in the same boat (Solidworks / Mastercam).

I usually import the Solidworks file, then set the stock boundary around the part, plus whatever margin I want for stock allowance. I ask it to generate lines and points with the stock. I use that stock perimeter as the basis of my work offset.

If you start with good 3D, you can load all of the geometry depths with mouse picks instead of remembering dimensions.

And keep in mind that you can do things like click the depth button, click on a line that defines the depth and have it load that into the dialog field. from there you can click into that field and do arithmetic. If you wanted to change a drill depth to be a bit more shallow, you could click in there and type +0.050 after the number and tab to the next field. Mastercam will do the math for you--adding 0.050 to the field's value. It's very useful.

I suspect that your biggest problem is making friends with the WCS settings. I too am working on making peace with the tool plane / construct plane thing.
    ah, thats good stuff. Most of what you mentioned I didn't even know was possible, just not get the pockets right. In my example file, I did get the stock defined, and the major profile, just not the inner cuts/pockets... The irony is that my actual needs are dead simple, so once I can get one part to cut, I can make virtually all the parts that I want to. (its all 2.5d simple stuff).

Here's the Sw file (SW2008)

I got my PC side rebuilt, and if I can kick my daughter off the PC, I'll load up the files you guys did for me and have a look.

Thanks!

Hmmm...wouldn't ya' know it: I can't open your Solidworks file either. Of course I'm on MCX MR1 and Solidworks 2006. I figured Solidworks wouldn't like the newer formate but I thought Mastercam would open it.

Well, either post a .stp file or just give it another whack on your own. I think you'll find that it's a lot easier to work from the 3D model.
    Greg

Sorry guys to open a 2008 SW, you need X2 Mr2 for that version of SW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SW2008file.jpg  
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Sorry guys to open a 2008 SW, you need X2 Mr2 for that version of SW.
    Well, that 'splains some of it!

Thanks for your file posts. That did help and makes sense. I'll do a little experimenting with it and see what I get. I did try to mod the overlap parms for the pocket and got the weird error about roughing and islands again - maybe my install is messed up somehow. I'll do fresh install and see if that fixes it.

Well, I finally cut some metal. Dang, the feeds have to be crazy slow to not break tools!

Anyway, I found something really weird. If I make ANY change to the open pocket (such as changing the depth from -.0625 to -.050) I get "Roughing must be enabled when Island facing is selected" - Is my installation corrupted maybe? I don't understand that error, and it won't rebuild that path, but I can load it fine from a file and post - just can't modify that one pocket (I can modify the other stuff)

So you are not able to change my file or yours?
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Well, I finally cut some metal. Dang, the feeds have to be crazy slow to not break tools!

Anyway, I found something really weird. If I make ANY change to the open pocket (such as changing the depth from -.0625 to -.050) I get "Roughing must be enabled when Island facing is selected" - Is my installation corrupted maybe? I don't understand that error, and it won't rebuild that path, but I can load it fine from a file and post - just can't modify that one pocket (I can modify the other stuff)
    So you are not able to change my file or yours?
    I can change the file just fine, except for the open pocket. Its odd. I did make one part, but needed to make some tweaks, such as multi-pass the outer contour (broke the tool trying to do it in one cut, even with coolant and 1ipm).. everything worked fine until I tried to change a parm on the open pocket..

Ok, a reinstall fixed me.. Just had some sort of bug or something. All is working fine.

Now, back to my dumb questions

I was able to make my part, but the last step is to cut off the part. I tried selecting the usual tool paths, but got wonky results (like lead in on the inside of the part, not the outside etc.). At the right of the part is two small non-connected line segments I just want the cutter to go outside of the stock at the edge of the part, go to cutting depth, then cut it off. Couldn't be simpler, but its the hardest thing so far! (same part and file posted earlier)...

TIA.

Why not to contour with tabs on and cut to floor. then just pop the tabs.
    Cadcam

Why not to contour with tabs on and cut to floor. then just pop the tabs.
    Sorry, not sure what that means!

I did finally cut metal tonight without breaking my tooling (!) I had broken my last ball end mill, so had to use a straight one. The last cut does leave a burr which I had to sand off. Wish there was a way to be burr free on cut off.

Thanks for the tips - I know I probably seem like a total dunce, but I'm amazed how much modding I need to do from Solidworks to actually cutting metal - simplifying the model, moving origin, tweaking the Gcode to get rid of weird little steps and inefficiencies etc...

Here's the little bitty part I cut. Bright spot is my home made CNC/ballscrew conversion is working quite well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0941.JPG   CIMG0942.JPG  

Fixed

Try this file.
    On conture #2, I had it ramp.
    On #3, I changed it to a open pocket.
    You also need to watch drawing overlapping entities.
    That was giving you some of your crazy error messages.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12