586,966 active members*
3,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

My 4X4 table build

After many months or reading and researching I am finally ready to start building a plasma table. So here are the specs.
    48.5"X48.5" travel
    water tank
    369oz steppers
    dual drives on the y
    Gecko 201 stepper controllers
    20 degree 20 pitch rack and pinion
    3.75:1 gear reduction
    Hiwin 15mm LG rails on the Y and Z
    THK HSR25mm rail on the x
    CandCNC Digital THC
    Mach 3 control.
    Hypertherm 1000

The Table will be made from 3x3x.125 square tube so I started milling the cross pieces for the table square and held .001 on length.

Then I started drilling and tapping the holes for the 25mm rail for the gantry.

Next I started on the Z. The Z is .188 HR plate and 15mm Hiwin rails. It will have 6" of travel. The single rail will be used for the floating head for the torch.

Looking good so far. Thanks for taking us along for your build.
    DRL

Welcome to the journey. Judging by your having access to a horizontal boring mill. I'd suspect you have access to all the other machine tools, Lathe(s), Milling machine(s), etc to produce a very fine & detailed Plasma table.

Why the small size?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post

Why the small size?
    I was going to build a 4x8 but I just don't have the shop space and I don't really need anything bigger right now. I know I will kick myself later when I need bigger, but I will build another if it comes down to it.

Oh, I am a Manual machinist in a huge machine shop, so I have access to all the cool machines.

I sort of figured space must be an issue. Other than that it just doesn't cost that much more to go bigger. You might want to try & leave 1 end of the table bolt together. That way if you later want to expand to 8' or even longer length it can easily be done.

It sucks not to have enough room for at least a 4 X 8. That way sheets od stock are economical & you don't first either have to have them sheared in 1/2 or cut them down yourself first.

Good to have a new build again!!! Fine start too, paint it while building , after done you´ll not want to take it appart ....

Hey Lamicron, Hows your machine running? Sold it yet? Building another?

Hi Rich! Yes I sold it!!! And sold another 2!! Now Im building two 4x8 and one 4x4 for me, and also one router 4x4, i´m waiting to have the material tomorrow. MAybe start a thread with one of those...´One will be a water table for plasma and a router, i ´ll build it with a rapid table change.
    Luis

Rich, where did you buy your pulleys? I need 3:1 pack. and belts. Can you help me with part numbers?
    Thanks
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Rich, where did you buy your pulleys? I need 3:1 pack. and belts. Can you help me with part numbers?
    Thanks
    Luis
    Luis rather than keeping Bigtoy's thread hijacked. Start a build log in: Plasma, EDM and other similar machine Project Log & pm me the link to it or I'll find as I'm on practically every day. I'll look for the information & get back to you there later.

Neil

Sorry for that, you are rigth.
    Luis

I got a little bit more done today. I got the Y rail holes drilled and tapped, then I welded the frame all together. I still need to weld a sheet on the bottom to form the water tank.

the welds

holes for the rails.

Beautiful welds

Excellent Design!!

I really appreciate your posting the details of your build.

I have a question, if you don't mind. What are the dimensions
    (inside of the rails) for the length and width of your table?

Thanks,

Mike Allen

Great build

Awesome build. You made it look so easy, and professional.
    Thanks for taking time to show us the details.

One question for the group; why the fluid in the bed? Just for better electrical connection?

Quote Originally Posted by dcorbett View Post
    Awesome build. You made it look so easy, and professional.
    Thanks for taking time to show us the details.

One question for the group; why the fluid in the bed? Just for better electrical connection?
    To keep all the dust and smoke down.

Smile

Hi Bigtoy,
    I am building plasma table by rack-pinion concept. I am interested in your method. Pls take a look from picture. I am puzzled with motor-plate which is held with one screw and one spring. I have some question.
    1) This concept, Is it enough to support the weigth of motor and aluminium plate set?

Hope your help
    Mongkol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hold.JPG  

Bigtoy,
    I recently came across this site. WOW! I have wanted, but could not justify a toy this expensive for a couple years. The prospect of making a plasma table myself has consumed my spare time. Like you, I am reading everything I can find on the subject. I am working out the details now. I plan on starting the build by early summer ('08). I look forward to your updates. I am a fairly accomplished welder myself and I would like to say your welds are impeccable. It looks like we are neighbors too, as I live in southern Oregon.
    ---Bob

Quote Originally Posted by xtremehobbyist View Post
    Bigtoy,
    I recently came across this site. WOW! I have wanted, but could not justify a toy this expensive for a couple years. The prospect of making a plasma table myself has consumed my spare time. Like you, I am reading everything I can find on the subject. I am working out the details now. I plan on starting the build by early summer ('08). I look forward to your updates. I am a fairly accomplished welder myself and I would like to say your welds are impeccable. It looks like we are neighbors too, as I live in southern Oregon.
    ---Bob
    The fun really begins when you start a build.

I was a total greenhorn when I began. I made up some CAD drawings mainly to keep some of my ideas straight. I was lost for quite some time. I really wanted to have most all my parts gathered up before I started.

There are so many things that depends on the part next to it. What do I need to buy so I don't build myself into a corner? Is this heavy enough, Is that strong enough? If I buy this rack & pinion, What belt reduction ratio do I need. Darn I actually would like to have my motors in hand so I can build the drives as small as practical yet rugged & strong.

All these things & trying to think things through to the end took many hours of head scratching & decision making. The time thinking paid off though in not having to un-do progress already made.

Looking back I could easily build a second table. Mine has worked out great so far. If I were to start over there is a few things I'd do different but not many.

I made some caps for the legs so I could screw so adjustable roller feet in them.

Then I got the bottom of the table sealed off with a piece of 16 gauge. I welded
    small beads all the way around and let each one cool to try and reduce warping.

Here are my gantry side plates all cut out.

I then started working on the Z axis acme screw. The bearing blocks where machined for a 608 bearing. The acme screw is a 1/2-10 single single start screw. The nut is a delrin nut from Dumpster CNC.

Page 1 of 3 123