586,145 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 0TB axis overtravel

Hi

I have a pretty big problem with my machine.
    Its a Denford built CNC lathe with Fanuc 0TB controller.

While doing some JOG operation, the machine traveled too far into Negative X direction (-X) and probably went beyond the limit. It gave an error as Z axis over travel for a second and later NOT READY started flashing.

I do whatever after that, the machine doesn't JOG or MPG. The axes just wont move and NOT READY keeps on flashing.

I think its some kind of over travel and then axis interlock but I am unable to solve it. Restarting the machine is of no help either.

Please help !!

Sushrut

can you turn the ball screw by hand to brinf it off the switch? Can you unmount the switch and then jog carefully the correct direction away and then replace the switch?
    I am sure there is a way to have the control ignore the switch, I am just not super familiar with OTB
    menomana

hi
    thanks for the reply

unfortunately, 0TB, a very OLDD controler doesnt allow much fiddeling.
    i can not see the limit switch anywheere nor the ball screw.. its all locked in a nutshell.. a very closed assembly.
    i did try to push it by hand but it didnt move a micron.

from ur reply, if i read ur intent correctly, it seems like a mechanical failure rather than something to do with the control mechanism. and so the solution is not in the diagnostic parameters or anything but it lies in mechanical moving of the system.. am i correct in interpreting?

The machine is fine, the problem is that the overtraverl limit switch in the Z axis has been reached by the lever in that axis, in your machine I do not know exactly where is the limit switch located, you have to search for it. If the limit switch is active you have to move your machine in order to release the limit switch. Usullay the machines have a release overtravel button sometimes in the operator panel, sometimes inside the electrical cabinet, sometimes it is the same redy button in the op. panel, if you find this you'll have to press it and without depressing it move the axis to release the alarm.

I hope this helps.

GP.

If the machine is a Zeroturn or a cyclone you will find the z axis limit switch by removing the right hand side panel(looking from the front of the lathe) from here you can also turn the ball screw but it is far easier to remove the left hand panel and turn the pulley on the end of the screw.
    You may need to wind the axis back off the stop so the switch just pops fully out...then switch the machine off and re-power to get your axis back to Zero.
    The same can be done with the x-axis but you will have to remove the left hand slideway cover to get at it..

I'm presuming you are cancelling your tool offsets at the end of a prog..this can also cause an overtravell if not done...check distance to go on the screen after overtravell occurs..it should read an ammount similar to your tool length or offset if the offset hasn't been cancelled in the prog..

Just a few ideas!

John.

thanks guys for the three replies..
    i was able to get the machine back to normal..
    i removed the panel and i cud locate one switch called axis override swtich on the right
    whihc when kept pressed i was able to jog the machine as it ignored the limit switches...
    after getting the machine in the limits, i HOMED it and now its working as usua

thanks for all ther replies!!!

Sushrut