587,201 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Router based on www.buildyourcnc.com

After hanging out here for quite a while and wishing I had a CNC router I am finally jumping in and giving it a shot.

I am going to build a router based on the ideas at www.buildyourcnc.com with a few mods.

I just got my bearings and have dowell nuts, HDPE, ACME 1/2-10 lead screws coming this week. I also have 4 2x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF sitting in the garage.

I am planning on getting a 3 axis package from Keling with:

3 pcs KL-4030, driver with heat sink
    3 PC KL23H286-20-8B, 425 oz-in dual shaft steppers
    1 PC 24V/8.3A Switching Power supply
    1 PC C10 Breakout Board Specification
    1 PC 24V Fan
    1 PC 5V power supply

I plan on ordering this package next Friday unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I have been looking at what router to get and I think I want to go with the Hitachi router.

I am not sure what software I am going to run yet. I would love to run Mach 3 but can't afford to buy it right now with everything else.

Look forward to any comments or suggestions anyone may have.

Brian Bland
    Claremore, OK

Quote Originally Posted by sonex128 View Post
    I would love to run Mach 3 but can't afford to buy it right now with everything else.
    You don't have to buy it right now. You can download it and use it for free. It'll just have a 500 line g-code limit until you pay for it. You can do quite a bit with 500 lines.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have decided to get a 36V/8.8A power supply due to recommendations by Glidergider.

I am waiting for Keling to get the kl-4030 drivers back in stock. They said they should have them this week.

Hope to start putting the router together soon.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sonex128 View Post
    After hanging out here for quite a while and wishing I had a CNC router I am finally jumping in and giving it a shot.

I am going to build a router based on the ideas at www.buildyourcnc.com with a few mods.

I just got my bearings and have dowell nuts, HDPE, ACME 1/2-10 lead screws coming this week. I also have 4 2x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF sitting in the garage.

I am planning on getting a 3 axis package from Keling with:

3 pcs KL-4030, driver with heat sink
    3 PC KL23H286-20-8B, 425 oz-in dual shaft steppers
    1 PC 24V/8.3A Switching Power supply
    1 PC C10 Breakout Board Specification
    1 PC 24V Fan
    1 PC 5V power supply

I plan on ordering this package next Friday unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I have been looking at what router to get and I think I want to go with the Hitachi router.

I am not sure what software I am going to run yet. I would love to run Mach 3 but can't afford to buy it right now with everything else.

Look forward to any comments or suggestions anyone may have.

Brian Bland
    Claremore, OK
    hey neighbor. im in tulsa. good to see some locals. i look forward to watching. your build.

I have not had a chance to work on anything yet. I have been sick since last weekend.

I think I will also wait for the new cheaper Gecko drives to come out. I have been waiting for Keling to get the KL-4030 drives back in stock and haven't heard anything from them so I will probably wait for the Geckos. They sound very good for the price.

Brian

Ordered a Hitachi router from www.reconditionedsales.com and ordered a 3 axis package from Keling. Can't wait for everything to get here.

I haven't got started on the router yet. I spent today installing a 220v outlet in the garage for my Tig/Plasma cutter. Too many projects and not enough time.

Brian

How is your rig coming? Post a pix or two?

yea if you got it up and running post some pics. also if you feel the desire and i can come up with some things i might be willing to contract you to make some parts for mine.

buildyourcnc.com is now selling their milled rig with parts on their site. You still need to provide a few parts locally but for the price compared to any other 'purchased' rig it is
    pretty cheap. ... I can't imaging my wife allowing me to run a 4'x8' rig in my spare bedroom especially in an apartment like he apparently is. The base is $1100, with electronics $1600.

Their new rig is expandable from the base 4x2 to 4x8 for $500 plus some additional locally obtained parts.

Sorry that I don't have much progress to report. About all I have done is wired up the drivers to test them out and got them working with Mach 3 and EMC2. I haven't had much time to work on it. Been having to work a lot of overtime the last few months.

Brian

I bought a BuildyourCNC 1.2 kit (one of the experimental machines from back in February) and have been chronicling my build progress over in another thread.