586,501 active members*
3,320 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Scrimshaw

Scrimshaw

Has anyone done any thing close to Scrimshaw on a CNC machine?

In case, which program did you use ?

K

Where do you come by Whale bone Ivory?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Where do you come by Whale bone Ivory?
    Al.
    He he he.
    You had me laughing there. My idea is to try to do it on some plastics or other materials on pool cues.

K

I use a laser engraver and renshape, or corian to do some ink pens. I imagine you could do it with cnc, using an engraving bit and a high speed spindle.

Engraving

I use a Techno Isel 4 axis and Vcarve Pro and/or PhotoCarve...

Re: Scrimshaw

Hi. May I ask what specific laser engraver you use and what settings?

Re: Scrimshaw

Hi,
    some years ago I was given a Sperm whale tooth, and very precious it is too. It was found on a beach on the Chatham Islands of New Zealand. You may notice the slightly green
    tinge of the very tip of the tooth. That is the very first stage of petrification. The soil of the islands is all Tarahina peat and causes items to be coloured. I have seen some which are
    distinctly green throughout, to the extent they look like jade rather than ivory.

Whales teeth are rare, but sharks teeth are more common, but for some reason they tend to go purple when they are petrified.

It is really no more than a curiosity which I think you'll agree is a shame. I really need to give it to a museum where others might get to see it.

Many generations ago my family were seafaring people, and indeed some came to New Zealand for whaling and sealing, so there is a family tradition of scrimshaw.
    I have no knowledge of any remaining scrimshaw in private family members hands, but there are examples of the scrimshaw of my own forebears in a museum in
    Nelson. Some of the work is particularly beautiful, mainly seafaring scenes, in exquisite detail, sort of Lord of the Rings stuff.

I myself am not an artist and would not be at all confident about creating artful scrimshaw and would not therefore risk marring an otherwise beautiful artifact.

Craig