586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant system

OK. My next step in my continuing saga of my cnc build is a coolant system. I found out today that I probably need one with the 1/8 and 1/16" carbide bits that I run. See my posting and temporary solutions here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51816

I'm going to base this on Hoss's setup. A couple of questions:

1. How am I to drain the bed on the mill? Drill a hole at each corner of the bed? If so, how big of a hole can I go? 1/2"?

2. What coolant are you all running? I checked Enco and the stuff that have is a "mist" coolant. I am going to build a flood system.

Lets go from there....

Mike

OK guys,
    I need some input here. I got the coolant ordered and all the parts to build the system.

However, I still am not sure how to go about draining the bed. I don't want to start drilling into this thing just willy nilly.

Mike

for my table i just drilled and tapped two 1/4 npt holes on either side. the problem your going to run into next is that your holes will get clogged with chips. it may be a good idea to install some kind of screen material over the holes so the chips don't get sucked in. the location of the holes isn't critical as they are just drains but you don't want this pouring over the ways or the screws. ultimately you could get away with just one hole on one side of the table if thats what you want to do, it will just take longer to drain.

thanks!

Actually...i was just going to leave them open....i never gave it any thought to plug them.

Mike

I just bought a 3.5 gallon solvent tank from HF for $49 I think. I extended the little spout with some fuel line. I used some galvanized pipe flanges and drilled a hole for the drain. I purposely made that corner the lowest in my drain pan. I think it puts just the right amount of coolant for my needs.
    I am really impressed with Koolmist 77. I get it from Mcmaster Carr. About $17 per gallon and it mixes 4 oz's per gallon of water. No smell, no rust.

For weep holes in your table, you need to think about where you put them. If you mill is permanently mounted and out of level a tad. you don't want to put it on the high side.

1/8" holes would probably work well with koolmist. You may need a little larger with your coolant. A couple or three holes should do it.
    Lee

Hi LeeWay,
    I bought Syn-Kool from MSCdirect. It is the same stuff Hoss uses and I had to place an order with MSC anyway for some parts for the coolant system.
    I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Only 1/8" holes? Hmmmm....that almost does not seem big enough to let the chips to drain out too. I suspect there is going to be some cleanup and not all the chips will make it out of the drain holes anyway during machining operations.

OK...this gives me something to ponder.

You know....I started my CNC project at the end of Dec by asking whether to CNC my machine or to DRO it and add a powerfeed. LOL. At the time, I thought there was NO WAY I would need a coolant system too. Now here I am building one and really pumped in getting started.

Mike

You don't need the chips to drain out. That is why Runner4404spd suggested using a screen over the holes. If chips get in the holes, they will clog it like you never drilled them.
    I never clean my chips out of the tray the same day I have been running coolant. I wait until the next day or a couple days later and do it before I start milling anything. This way most of the chips are relatively dry and you won't be throwing out your coolant. I use a small dust pan and a cheap paint brush for the bulk of stuff. Then I use a wet/dry shop vac.

When I am setting up after having run some parts, I use some small shots of compressed air from a compressor to clear off where I will be mounting the tooling, stock and hold downs. I use a clean shop cloth just before I set the stock down.

I have a pretty large chip tray, so I only need to clean mine maybe once a week. It's not spotless after I do it. It's a mill.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You don't need the chips to drain out. That is why Runner4404spd suggested using a screen over the holes. If chips get in the holes, they will clog it like you never drilled them.
    I never clean my chips out of the tray the same day I have been running coolant. I wait until the next day or a couple days later and do it before I start milling anything. This way most of the chips are relatively dry and you won't be throwing out your coolant. I use a small dust pan and a cheap paint brush for the bulk of stuff. Then I use a wet/dry shop vac.

When I am setting up after having run some parts, I use some small shots of compressed air from a compressor to clear off where I will be mounting the tooling, stock and hold downs. I use a clean shop cloth just before I set the stock down.

I have a pretty large chip tray, so I only need to clean mine maybe once a week. It's not spotless after I do it. It's a mill.
    Ahhhh....OK. I got the picture finally. I'm a little slow some days (especially at 5:30 in the morning) and need things explained with paper and crayons. Red crayons are the best. They taste good too. LOL.
    Thanks!
    Mike

The FogBuster (www.fogbuster.com) is quite an amazing coolant system too. It is VERY economical on coolant use and it works wonders, you just need an air compressor to run it.

Wade

[deleted duplicate message]

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    The FogBuster (www.fogbuster.com) is quite an amazing coolant system too. It is VERY economical on coolant use and it works wonders, you just need an air compressor to run it.

Wade
    Thanks. I looked at this. But having to run an air compressor was sort of a turn off for me and the price was a lot more than what I wanted to spend. I should have this done for about half that.
    Mike

Yeah, I didn't want to mess with flood coolant as I don't have much space in my shop to build a big cabinet and collection system. The fog buster uses VERY little coolant which was the main selling point for me. I put a shower (aka chip) curtain up around my mill and when it's cutting the chips stay in one little area that I can suck up with the vacuum. I do a lot of woodworking too, and I didn't want to mess with having to worry about chips getting into all my other equipment. The air compressor is in another room in my garage so the noise is minimal. If it were in the room with me, I think I'd have a different attitude about the noise.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Yeah, I didn't want to mess with flood coolant as I don't have much space in my shop to build a big cabinet and collection system. The fog buster uses VERY little coolant which was the main selling point for me. I put a shower (aka chip) curtain up around my mill and when it's cutting the chips stay in one little area that I can suck up with the vacuum. I do a lot of woodworking too, and I didn't want to mess with having to worry about chips getting into all my other equipment. The air compressor is in another room in my garage so the noise is minimal. If it were in the room with me, I think I'd have a different attitude about the noise.

Wade
    Exactly opposite with me. I have the room for the cabinet and collection system and the compressor would have to be in the same room as me, hence the noise concern. As much as I like working with metal, me and wood don't seem to get along. LOL.
    Mike