The reason I am writing this as for years and even today to include in the forum you can see several views on attitudes.

We have the follow traits:
  1. Don't care
  2. Just do enough to get by
  3. Just take short cuts
  4. Just get it done and out the door
  5. Want it done right the first time
  6. Overly nit-picky
You may have your own categories and well I place my self in between 5 and 6.
I like to see those that take the extra steps it takes to setup clean and accurate and use those tools you have to make it right to begin with.
I strongly believe that tolerances are for production not in your setup or programing.
I have seen people fired for doing what they were told, as we know there are some of those out there that talk a good game but have no clue.

One incident I ended up being involved in and not by choice.

There were several difficult parts well at least management thought so and took stock into 2 machinist one being a lead and the other considered the head machinist.
Over a 3 month period 3 machinist that followed this head machinist were fired and all said when they left they did not do the scrap and did what they were told.
Then the Shop Manager came to me and placed me into the position following this head machinist, I thought oh boy.

The first part that was up and running was a casting that had 5 different setups and had a true position tolerance of .005 and he had them convinced that they could not get any closer then .006 true position, do to the machine.
After inspecting the part off it was out of tolerance.
I brought the test indicators and went through the setup and corrected it, next part off was in tolerance and there after.
I left message explaining what I did and the results.
When I came in the next day it was the attitude of "what you did, did not change anything" so when he left I setup a part and inspected it and it was again out of tolerance at .006 true position.
The indicator came out and the setup was fine, I checked the program and it had been changed to make the part wrong.
At this company we kept a hard copy and then one on the server, the server program had been over written.
The next day he was pulled off those jobs and 2 days later him and his friend the Lead were fired.

After the rest of the hard jobs were straight out they all became easy to run.

This is my point take the time to do it right it will make your life easier and will avoid others being accused of poor work or worse fired.

This is why I also have my signature as it is.