586,655 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > "Which brand CNC plasma? I want a turnkey solution."

View Poll Results: Can those who are unskilled in CNC plasma learn easily?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 79.31%
  • No

0 0%
  • Maybe

6 20.69%
  • Go back to Electrical Engineering :-)

0 0%

Question "Which brand CNC plasma? I want a turnkey solution."

Hello Team

I joined this Board to help me in sourcing my first CNC plasma cutter. I will be doing "high mix & very low volume" production for my HOBBY. In the Engineering world this would be a prototype support tool. I plan on cutting 1/2" or less mild steel 99.99% of the time. Approximately 4'x8' capacity and good vertical height control. I also prefer to use my PC via a standard interface (USB, serial, parallel, et alia) I'm looking for value which I define as "Quality divided by Cost" :-)

Although I'm formally trained as an Electrical Engineer, I want to plug this machine in and "use it" to cut parts (period). I want to drag and drop DXF from any number of software packages. I'm not hung up on "open vs. closed" architecture and all that STUFF. When I need a water pump for my Ford Expedition, I go and buy a Ford water pump and not an adapter to allow a small block Chevy water pump to bolt up to my Ford :-) I want plug and play with factory tech support.

Please help me to "get it right the first time". Thank you!

Warmest regards,

Mike Gibbons
    Sugar Land, Texas
    [email protected]

its really hard to say which is the best, take a look at the torchmate tables. sounds like a good solution for you.

Check out the Koike.com website for some of the best equiptment, like an unbeatable 3 D Link Bevel

Gibbons,

I am also looking for a turn key solution for my cnc plasma cutting needs. I am wondering if you decided on a company yet? Do you have any companies you would not go with?

I was at the point where you are at now 1.5 years ago, and ended up buying a 4x8 Dynatorch with a 1250 Hypertherm last spring, couldnt be happier with it and the support. Corel 3x, Sheetcam, Dynatorch is what i use. There web site is www.dynatorch.com

EDD

By far the komatsu rasor cnc plasma is the best. Just purchased a komatsu Twister with 96" x 240" bed with 1 3/4" capabilities. They make smaller affordable units for job shops but, if you need full bore production look @ above, quality is excellent.

a Low cost turnkey 8 x4 plasma table

i also would prefer turn key small plasma table ,.
    anyone have any info on chinnese made equipment. as i,m as close to china as the States.
    i need the machine as hobby and have only single phase 240 volts electricity supply.
    I m new to this forum so i would appreciate your help.
    I possibily dont have enough knowledge about the electical side to build my own , but I'm open minded.
    Thanks
    DCP

There is a list of cnc cutting machine manufacturers on the Hypertherm website....Hypertherm sells their plasma systems to almost all cutting table manufacturers. here is a link that list N. American manufacturers of cutting machines:
    https://www.hypertherm.com/Xnet/hypr/locator/oem.jsp

There are a lot of variations in Plasma/CNC machine capability...from hobby class small machines to high end industrial machines.....the prices can range from $2500 (US) to over a milion dollars! Cut part accuracy, metalurgy of the cut edge, thickness, type of material and duty cycle...as well as plate size all need to be taken into account before a machine can be recommended for your application.

best regards, Jim Colt

I run a dynatorch and hypertherm 1250 and its amazing

Yep, I like the Dynatorch, but I haven't used anything else.

If you are looking for turnkey, you'll benefit greatly from someone who answers their phones, offers training, and supports what they sell. Two days of class and a little experimenting on my own and I'm confident enough to tackle most anything I need to cut. Most of my parts are one-offs, and the time from idea to part is getting really short. Now it takes me longer to CAD a part than cut it.

I have the Dyntorch retro kit system. Its a kit that has all the servo motors, Torch height unit, the main x,y,z controller, all cables needed, software and free tech help. They're Software is simple to learn. I built my own table and gantry because I was on a budget. Great support from techs and they're always available. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a turn key table from Dynatorch if I were in the market.

Firebass

Well?
    Lol?
    What'd you buy?
    I hate deburring.....
    Lets go (insert favorite hobby here)

Well I guess I'll add my 2 cents, The guys at EZ Router build a fine table, it is a turnkey solution, John is one of the best, always willing to listen, always open to new ideas, and is a honest business man. I deal with people of all sort in this industry everyday, I have to say the EZ router guys are top notch. I spoke with John recently and he indicated they have developed a more budget minded system, might want to take a look at them. I have one on my shop floor and it is built to stand the test of time. there are many fine tables out there, but one of the more important things I shop for also is support, these guys seem to have that. "Plasma is not science it's an adventure"
    Chip Coale

Coalstove,

When you say "Plasma is not science, its an adventure"....I would only agree with you in regards to older technology, some imported equipment, and homebuilt equipment...where you are somewhat on your own!

As a 31 year associate of Hypertherm.....I have been involved in the development of some pretty high technology science over the years...and Hypertherm has over 70 patents hanging on a wall to back that up!

Today's industrial plasma systems can cut metals at almost twice the speed, with less than half the power level, with 10 times the consumable life.....and at a fraction of the operating cost as compared to systems that were designed as little as 15 years ago! Hypertherm employs over 85 engineers, 15 of them with pHd's....that work with high temperature physics and state of the art electronics and software to further the capability of the process!

Todays HyPerformance (Hypertherm's trade name for the latest industrial high definition plasma systems) systems can cut and pierce from 28 gauge to 2" thick carbon steel, can provide tolerances traceable to ISO9013 cut quality standards (standards for laser, oxy-fuel and plasma cutting edge quality), while having capital equipment and operating costs that are a small percentage of laser and water jet systems.

If you are ever in Hanover, NH.....look me up and I'll give you a tour of our R&D facility as well as the Hypertherm factory!

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm Inc www.hypertherm.com

Jim how much is the xd400? It looks like it will do exactly what we want.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Smile

No argument here, I fully under that the technology today is far better than than it was, 14 years ago when I got involved with plasma technology, I work on HPPR's HT's and MAX series machines that are attached to plate machines and robots, my comment is based on, things change when it comes to putting the torch to the metal, many factors come into place, metallurgy, power, pressure, feed and speeds, etc., this is the "adventure part" of my comment and is solely based on time behind the torch and understanding the cause and effects. I will be more than happy to look you up when I come to Hypertherm this year for a couple of your workshops. Maybe I should change it to "Plasma is just not a science, it's an adventure" Thanks
    Chip Coale