586,741 active members*
3,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Communication issue with a EZ Track DX with Computer

Unhappy Communication issue with a EZ Track DX with Computer

Hello everyone! I hope some one maybe had the same issue I am having with transferring files. I am trying to send and receive files from a EZ Track DX to a PIII 450 PC running Windows 98. The Computer is setup with “EZ Cam” and “EZ Utilities V6.1” for sending and receiving the files text files (999.TXT). I have also been using the HyperTerminal Y Modem as well to transfer the files. Here is how I have it setup:

SETUP:
    1.EZ TRACK DX running V.3.67 with a built in hard drive. I believe the internal computer is running DOS. The communication method is a RS232C 9pin D connector that plugs into a DB25 adapter. The wire configuration is normal for the adapter and the RS232C cable (Pin 2=RX, Pin 3=TX etc.).

2. PIII 450Mhz Windows 98 2nd edition with COM1 assigned to RS232C cable.
    Baud Rate of 4800, bps Data 8, stop bits 2, Parity = None. A folder is setup on the C drive called “textfile” to put he .TXT files in.

Once both side are set up this is what I do to try and send a file.

Option 1:
    a. Enter the “Utilities” on the EZ TRACK.
    b. Enter “Receive / Send Files”
    c. Select “EZ TEXT”
    d. Select “Send other file”
    e. It then displays a window to enter the file name.
    f. I then go to the PC computer and open EX-UTLS.exe
    g. I then make sure the baud rate is 4800 at 2 bits, then go to “Send file to EZ track”

h. A window opens up on the PC that says “ready to send file”.
    i. I then go back to the EZ track and enter the file name, in this case
    “999” for the file on the PC is called 999.txt that I put in the proper directory.

j. On the EZ track screen it displays” WAIT – Receiving File C:/TXTFILES/999.txt

k. BUT NOTHING HAPPENS and it times out!

The other way I try is the following:
    Option 2:
    l. Enter the “Utilities” on the EZ TRACK.
    m. Enter “Receive / Send Files”
    n. Select “Y Modem”
    o. Select “Send other file”
    p. It then displays a window to enter the file name.
    q. I then go to the PC computer and “HyperTerminal.exe” and setup the com information the same as using the EX-Utls.exe program. I also tried 9600 Baud rate and setting the profile to Y Modem as options.

r. I then make sure the baud rate is 4800 at 2 bits, then go to “Send text file and select the 999.txt file”

s. Nothing really happens but the communication indicator is counting.
    t. I then go back to the EZ track and enter the file name, in this case “999” for the file on the PC is called 999.txt that I put in the proper directory.

u. On the EZ track screen it displays” WAIT – Receiving File C:/TXTFILES/999.txt

v. BUT NOTHING HAPPENS and it times out!

Both the PC and EZ Track seem to see each other but the only thing I can think of is the directory that the EX track is looking at is it’s own and not the PC.
    For example PC Directory: C:/txtfiles/999.txt (What I am trying to get)
    EZ Link Directory: C:/txtfiles/999.txt (It’s looking at this one but not txt file exists.)

Two tricks I have heard but want more info first is trying to swapping pin 2=TX, and 3=RX. I don’t see how this would help since the pin configuration on the EZ link is the same as the RS232C protocol. The other option is an old computer for the simple reason that the RS232 ports from back then have a lower volt output. This one makes no scenes.

Any ways if any one has any ideas, links or company to talk to about this I would be very grateful! Thanks in advance.
    -Biker_eh

-Biker_eh
    Did you ever get this figured out? I am trying to do the same thing and get the same results you do. I am using a communication software called "DNC4U". This software works great on my Matsuura Yasnac I-80 for program transfer and drip feed but I cannot get it to work with the BP.

Rock Dancer

Smile cnctools

Downloading programs is easy if they are small enough to fit into a 640 k block in Dos. I copy and past my progams in to windows 98 to the PGMFiles directory on the Machine. The machine I Am using is running Windows 98 in Dos mode. If they are larger than that DNC is used to run the program in segments.

communicating with eztrak

The best way that I have found to communicate between a desktop and the eztrak is to put a larger hard drive into the eztrak, install eztrak software and then install windows98, then set up a network between the bridgeport and the desk top pc. I have used this setup for 4 years now without problem. I also use ezcam. My machine is a 1995 dx 2axis with the EMI/ELROD 3rd axis add on, and the network card is built into the motherboard. I am running the bridgeport with win98se, and the desktop with winXP pro.

mcgraw351: how did you put in the larger HDD and NOT get into the problems with regard to the 504mb HDD size limit that the BMDC software supposedly has?

I'm suspecting that you partitioned the C drive to 504mb and then partitioned the rest of the drives as you saw fit. Right? Wrong? Please explain. OR did you leave the original DOM/HDD in place and just add another one.??

Would you mind sending a copy of your BMDCPRMS.SYS file? I"d like to see how they set the parameters for the Elrod system. I called ELrod and they didn't have the answer and referred me to EMI.

Every time I call EMI, all they want is my M/C or VISA card number. THings are tight now due to a health issue and I can't afford the luxury of EMI anymore.