586,398 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face Keyboard Keys won't work

I am setting up a benchtop round column machine retrofit. I have Mach3 version 3 loaded, all the drives are working I think? I can reference home and reverse the direction and all three axis work. (still need to tune them a bit) but it is kinda hard to do that when I cant move the motors manually. I can not get the keyboard keys to move the motors. I set up the hot keys just like my x3 setup on the other computer but it just doesn't work.
    I am using a c11 set up that I downloaded from I think CNC4PC wich is the breakout board I am using. I have Keiling drives and everything I can find in the documentation just doesn't help.
    I am new to this stuff so I am about as sharp as a marble when it comes to configuration set ups. I tried to refer to my x3 set up with mach3 on another computer but I am stumpt. What I have tried is to enable inputs and such but I haven't a clue what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help me solve this little problem. It's rather big to me.

There are some screens you can't jog on. Try jogging on the main screen. And try the default keys.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks, I tried to use the mdi and the diagnostic screens, those are the ones I use on the other machine and it didn't help.

When you attempt to jog do the DRO's move? If so MACH "thinks" it's jogging.
    If not and you are out of reset, then make sure you are in CONT mode on the jog type. Use the TAB flyout to see it. If you are in MPG mode it will just sit and look at you !

Are the motors locked when you power up?

Do you have the Charge Pump on in MACH? Some BOB's don't have an indicator. Check with your board source to find out about CP>

Can you move using an MDI command? (G00X3Y3). That would indicate everything is working and the motors or breakout or drives are not the problem.

I don't know about the Keling but it may have an enable pin that needs to be set.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Thanks, I will try a few things you guys mentioned and see what I come up with. I really appreciate all the help. Bob

I did get the key commands to work finally, It was the MPG setting, I could not find anywhere in the version 3.0 Mach3 to change it so I reverted back the version 1.84, that is the version I am used to using on the x3. Again Thanks for the help.
    now I am needing some direction on motor tuning. I tried to just get them singing a good tune and I thought it was ok until I slowed them down to 1% output. I am using some odd size leads on the x axis ball screw. It is a rather fast pitch and I am seeing a torque issue that might surface. Not too sure if it will be a problem yet. The main problem is trying to set speed and velocity correctly. at what out put should I be running the motors when I am trying to make them run smoothe? Or is that the right way to tune? Heck I don't know what I am doing yet. I did manage to get them to move smoothly and not stall out. but again when I slowed them down I get a major rough chopping action sound. I also played around with the micro stepping settings but it slows down the motors to a snail pace. Do I need to set the micro steps first and then tune for smoothe performance and try to get some speed? Still need some advise.