586,270 active members*
3,433 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hard Drive

Hard Drive

I had to replace the hard drive on a H.P. computer that is two years old. For some reason there is no sound since the hard drive was installed. I tried some of the reasons given by H.P. and Microsoft but yet to find out why there is no sound. Everything I have check states that the device is working. Has anyone else ran into this problem and if so what did you do to get the sound working. There is no sound what so every, even the computer sounds are not working.

Sounds like you didn't reinstall the drivers for the sound chip.
    The drivers will be on your MOBO/manufacturers CD, good chance they will be AC'97 standard.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Although I bought the computer new, it did not come with any C.D. I did check the drivers and did a update, but there is still no sound.

I know it a stupid question, but did you plug in the speaker plug into the proper output of your souncard??

Quote Originally Posted by larry53 View Post
    I had to replace the hard drive on a H.P. computer that is two years old. For some reason there is no sound since the hard drive was installed. I tried some of the reasons given by H.P. and Microsoft but yet to find out why there is no sound. Everything I have check states that the device is working. Has anyone else ran into this problem and if so what did you do to get the sound working. There is no sound what so every, even the computer sounds are not working.
    Wiggle and Jiggle is the answer.

When you had the computer open something was moved and is not making good contact.

Re-open the computer and then ground youself. (touch and hold a metal part of the case.) With your other hand (while still holding the case) wiggle all the cables to make sure they are connected, wiggle cards to make sure they fully seated etc. Check to make sure that a cable wasn't reconnected.

Close it up and try again. Make sure all the exterior cables are in the correct location (I've made this mistake myself)

Check that the speakers have power, are on, and the volume is up. I've made this mistake of unplugging the buggers and wondering why they weren't working.

It should work.

Post your results.

If this doesn't work I give you a procedure to have Windows get it working for you.

Post the FULL model number. I think I can post a link to where you can get the drivers.

I got the sound to work. Thanks for the replys.