586,126 active members*
2,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrading a Shopbot

So we've got a Shopbot PRT96 with the 4G Gecko driver upgrade. We love it. It's one generation behind their current model at about two years old now.

We're moving our shop, and will have some oppertinity to upgrade the Shopbot while it's off-line during the move. We've already got some ideas of what we'd like to do, such as creating some aluminum plates to help stiffen the Z-axis, re-doing the table itself, etc. But I'd love to hear more.

I do know that some here are rather critical of the Shopbot's design, and as such, I'd like to hear what they have to say so that we can take it into account along with some of the other ideas we've got. One thing we don't have is a ton of money, so keep the comments to ditch the Shopbot for a 'real' CNC table to yourselves. ;-)

Thanks!

jeffrey

i believe i've seen your work california?
    check out mech mates forum
    i cannot tell who started what but they sure are similar

jim mcgrew
    south carolina
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

I think that the MechMate has borrowed quite a bit from the Shopbot. I've seen that forum, but not looked closely at it.

Yes we're in California, Oakland to be exact.

From the shopbot forum it looks like getting a spindle to replace our router is the thing to do after the table re-build and vac hold-down setup get done. So now I need to start shopping for spindle.

Liked your work. Funny that another McGrew is out there doing CNC!

i am sure

shop bot will help you out, i went to thier plant in durham and spent an afternoon there. really a laid back bunch i do like my 5.5 spindle and vaccum
    table. is yours a gantry like the older model bridge or is it the newer flat gantry?

jim

Stiffen the gantry

I'm a shopbot owner, and I just completed an upgrade on my PR. I installed a new gantry, new Z axis and motor, and a new Ascension 1000 controller. Overall, its a big improvement, but it could be better. The gantry is much stiffer, and stays square.

I think that the biggest change mechanically was that I redid the gantry using 8020 aluminum extrusions. I changed from the horizontal gantry orientation to a vertical one. The gantry ends are now inverted 'T's, and I now have 10.5" of Z travel. Its MUCH easier to get to the router to change bits, attach dust collection etc. The BWC rails are also a big improvement, with very smooth travel and much faster speeds.

I think I have some pics posted on the Shopbot forum under Variations and Modifications.

Good luck with your project.

WayneC

I've already got the BWC rails, for it's a later model PRT. And I've got the 4G gecko driver upgrade, so the Ascension 1000 isn't really needed (I feel).

I am looking at using that 80/20 product in rebuilding the table, and dropping the bed some to make for a little more Z depth.

From the Shopbot forum, it seems the next thing to do would be to get a spindle to replace our router. The only reason we don't have the spindle now is that we're maxed out with out power in our current location and would have to put in a new sub-panel if we got a spindle. Moving solves that problem, so..

Thanks for the tips everyone.

i am running a

5.5 hp columbo spindle on 220v single phase with no problems
    jim mcgrew

It's not the phase, it's that we're full up in the shop. Every breaker slot has been taken, nothing's free, and putting in a 220v dedicated line to something like a spindle would require a new subpanel. We're renting, and moving, so...