586,124 active members*
2,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > E-stop false triggers

E-stop false triggers

Hey everyone
    I've got a xylotex 3 running a desktop mill and I've just finished wiring in the E-stop button to the xylotex.
    I've run from the gnd, through the stop switch on the machine, back to pin 12 on the xylotex.
    I've got a 10k resistor from the 5V to the #12pin on the xylotex
    The entire thing is connected to Mach3
    Everything works as expected except that I keep getting random external e-stop requests. I've reset the debounce inmach3 all the way up to 5000 and it's still there, probably every minute or so
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Mooser

What OS and pc specs are you running.

Just for a test, you might want to change the pin that you are using on the xylotex and also make the change to mach3 to try a different port. May also have a badly labeled resistor.

Edit,
    I guess it is also possible that your e-stop button may be contacting from vibrations? Does it do this during motor operation or simulations as well?

I'm running XP with a P4 dual 3. with 4g of ram (it's connected to my main system right now) so I don't think it's a pc problem
    the strange part is it will trigger without anything running, just mach3 loaded and the machine sitting idle
    Cranking the debounce way up helps but still doesn't get rid of it. I'm hesitant of hooking the scope on because of all of the warnings on the xly box.
    Going to check grounds today to see if it's anything there. The machine is running off it's own plug while the xyl is off a different one.
    I'm thinking this explains the home problem I've been getting too
    Thanks for the suggestions

That certainly helps narrow things down a bit. I would go into the bios and disable the dma mode for the parallel port. Then run the driver test from mach 3 and see what the pattern looks like. That should help you "see" any activity during the time the problem occurs.

Do have now, or have you used any printer driver software on this pc before this? I.E. HP print managers or the like. They will sometimes probe the port for status to the printers. Even if the printer you had was not parallel.

If you have a volt meter, you might check the voltage of the e-stop for a bit and see if there really is a signal coming through when the trip occurs. But I am willing to bet it is a printer port issue from the bios. Maybe even a powersave "feature"

I am waiting on my limit/homing and e-stop button to come in. But it seems really straight forward to install. Even on the Xylotex.