586,393 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Manual Setting of Work Zeros (0-M fanuc)
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Manual Setting of Work Zeros (0-M fanuc)

Hi,

I am trying to tell my mc (Shizouko millmaster) where the part zero is.

To start I am accustom to Haas, Maho.

Generaly i find setting wrk0`s my position pretty common.With this Fanuc I know where to put my wornk zero`s once i have found my zero position (my menu offsets page)...

my problem is zeroing my axis, X & Y ( i am using an e.mill to position)

So I touch-off, and i would usally zero my axis here, move rad. of cutter, touch other side of piece (move rad.) div. this by 2 to be at center.

My cutter is where zero should be...i cannot find where to imput this into m.c. I am not using any g54`s as is only one piece

I could be way off, but this is how i usally set my work zeros...thanks!

I will suggest that you use G54...G59 in case your machine has them. In case it doesn't have them you can use G50 or G92. In G54 you write the number corresponding to the machine position when the tool is located at the zero that you want, ie. center of the piece.

Thumbs up

I Have set a G54 ( and tried the putting in the Absolute positionong co-ords,
    this still is bringing me off by a few inches away from my actual work zero,
    so i tried putting in the Machine co-ords and am getting the same results
    This is the first time ive ever had a prob. w my work zeros, makes for a interesting day!!

Mmmmmm...where the G54 is locates on the work offset screen there is a group above, this is to shift the coordinates and must be all zero (X,Y,Z). Is it all zero???

yea its at zero x,y and z.
    there is 6 co-ord settings G54=01 G55=02 G56=03 and so on,
    the one above 01 is 00, i assume this is the one you are speaking of, I dont know exactly what it is for but its all at zero
    so do you usally set your Absolute co-ords, or machine co-ords,
    thanx so much for reply...my butt is on the line!! LOL

when zero returning your machine does it bring X far to the right as it can go before overtravel
    as welll with Y

I do not think mine is properly Homing itself

On my Haas machines home is always nicley tucked away in the far X+ Y+ corner, on this Shizouko, its table is practicly center to the doors...wierd

Is it homing fine???? If you do not home the machine it won't take the right coordinates.
    Are you using G90 to set absolute coordinates??
    The coordinates that you must input in the G54 offset are the machine coordinates, not absolute or relative.
    If it is a fanuc 6 please check that the ABS button is on.

I would use the "machine" position to establish your zero. Some fanuc's mess with the position screen. You should do what you are doing but when you get to center use the machine position to set the "g54"

How ancient is this controller? If its really stubborn, after the machine has homed, try keying in G92 X0Y0 in MDI and then execute it. Then try setting a work offset. Or if you prefer, you can dispense with setting the work offset, simply move your machine to the work datum, and execute G92 X0Y0 at that location. If you do this in MDI, then the machine position will be established for as long as the power is on, and you don't need to write the G92 into the main program, which has certain dangerous ramifications if you restart out of position.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There are 3 positioning screens
    1: Absolute = reads X0, Y0, when machine in nHOME position
    2: Relitave = can manually set ZERO's with this pg
    3: Machine = is normally what I would imput into my offset pg (G54 ect)

My command line reads like this: G90 G80 G54 G49 G40

Whats happining when It reads prgm to go to work zero (G0 X0 Y0) my screen reads out like so:

Absolute X0.0 Y0.0
    Relative X-1.25 Y-2.5* (*aproxomite co-ords)

this X1.25, Y2.5 is exactly how far machine is frm work zero.

When i position the Relative: X0 Y0
    Absolute reads: X-1.25 Y-2.5

This is sitting at Work Orgin (prg 0)

Therfore it is always off by x1.25" and y2.5"

I am homing my m/c constantly (any alarm, lotsof overtravel) any time reset button is hit

I have been using the Machine position...and am just about to try the G92 in my MDI

I hope i have conveyed this info clearly...I am still shocked about this Machining community, its a beautiful thing, and i hope to contribute as much as I take.....THANK YOU ALL!!

Unhappy

sO... I have tried the G92 X0 Y0 in MDI, (sitting tool over work datum)

What A neat trick (thanx Huflungdung), it acually set my Absolute positioning to Zero (wich currently matched my Relative position)

Unfortunatly, my program did already have G92 X4.319 Y9.674 Z0 (I am editing an existing program to better understand fanuc)

When I ran into my G0 X0 Y0 (line preceeding G92), I way overtraveled my -Y axis.

sO I removed that line (G92)...jogged to wrk/datum, executed G92 X0 Y0 in MDI and had same results O.T -Y @ G0 X0 Y0.

Absolute should not read X0, Y0 at home postition. The machine thinks that this is where "G54" is. Did you try shutting off the machine so it resets the absolute screen? I have seen this happen many times when someone sets absolute at home to X0, Y0. The only way I have ever been able to get this to be correct is to turn off the machine.

Try pressing "P" and "CAN" keys simultaneusly and turn on the NC, this will inhibit the software over travel. Be carefull with this since you won't have a limit by software and the machine might touch the microswitches, if this solve the problem then you must change the overtravel parameteres (700...) to never get the overtravel position.

Amazing...these controllers are as old as i am!

All the previous programming is done with the G92 work shift (Huflungdung, you knew it)

So basicly there is NO work offset programming...this is my newest problem.

I have lernt to screw with the workshift (G92) enough to make a piece...but in the long run I will need my work offsets to run more than one piece at a time (that and it will be a major pain-in-the a$$ everytime i change fixtures)

I do have the work offset control panel (G54=01, G55=02, G56=03 ect) but have yet to utilize it properly. I do not know if this machine is capable of running with work offset co-ords (the only reason i say this is why the hell would anyone choose to program this way)

sO what i am wondering is it going to be difficult to swich my m/c to reading w.offsets as opposed to work-shift?

ps. thanx for the overtravel advice...has alredy saved me a TON of time today

(the only reason i say this is why the hell would anyone choose to program this way)
    LoL
    We used to choose it because we had no choice. But, I'm curious about the work offset table that you do see in the control. Typically, there would not be any work offsets in an old machine if it could not use them. Maybe it was an option that was not purchased for this particular machine?

Using G92 is roughly equivalent to programming work shifts within your program. You will have to include the G92 commands within the main program under these circumstances.

The main rule of safety which you must strictly adhere to is this: if you abort a program, you must return to a known position before doing a program restart. Under no circumstances should you permit the controller to read a G92 command when the table position is incorrect.

If you can run a G28 safety line before every G92, this might help avoid catastrophic collisions.

Perhaps someone else familiar with this specific controller can give you some sage advice.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanx for the tips...i know that G28 is prob. going to save me a few times.
    I almost have this work shift figured out, short of how to set my Z axis, feels like learning a new language...one i thought i knew!!

sO the battle continues...thanx everyone for the advice, hope well be makin chips today!:rainfro:

Crazzzy conspiricy guy....or super genius?

sO I have talked w a programmer who has only ever used G92 shift. He says his m/c's also have the work offsets page (G54, G55 ect). He said that you need to have them activated (via secret/hidden paramaters), wich you need to pay to have activated!

I can't believe that you would have to turn on "G54" etc. I have been running and programming CNC's for 30 years an never seen this. As far as "G92" this is an old way of doing things in old controllers "before 6M" that people are trying to get you up and running. I would never use "G92" on a daily bases. I can look at my options to see if this is a secret/hidden parameter, but I don't think I will find it. I have turned on options for "G54.1" but not "G54". You can pay Fanuc to turn it on, but you can do it yourself.

I was just as stunned to herar that as well. My control is 0-M.
    The gentelman I spoke with has never run anything but G92, even on multi-piece jobs. So I have found a new-old way of doing it...but am much...much more comfortable with G54's
    As far as the paying for it goes...HA! NEVER.
    Sowhere might the best place to post this cunundrum, cuz if anyone knows its someone here LOL

ps what is "G54.1??"

Page 1 of 2 12