What would it take to add a U.S. made, long lasting laser module to a Chinese built laser. My purpose is not to compare the technologies or merits of each type but to see what it would actually take. Would one have to discard all the laser related electronics including laser power supply? Are the different laser types driven in the same manner or is that different too?

Also would one then have to change the control board that receive's the code from the software. In other words, is the motion control system linked to the laser control system and would one have to replace the whole thing? And in that case, how would that affect the software needed.

My laser uses imported linear guide rails and good quality stepper motors and the optics are easy to upgrade if needed. Backlash etc. is very minimal and easily controlled through software if needed. The weak link is the need to change the glass tube every year or so. It seems that the electronic components should all be redily available and modular. The technology is has been around for quite a while now and the modular components should be available. The laser module I expect is the biggest cost.

My laser manufacturer offers a "metal" tube. Do these degrade at the same rate as the glass tubes? Am I just better off replacing the tube every 8 - 12 months at the cost of $300 or so?