586,094 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wink easy wiring question

I have searched the net to no avail for the wiring for a superior electric slo syn stepper mo-63. This should be easy. The connector has the wires in the following order ,red,black,brown,green,white,blue.A six wire motor.Im using gecko g-201's.Should I just use the first two and last two.(black,red,white,brown) and ignore the two center wires? Or should I be worried that they are o.e.m. orders with odd wiring. Also would I just connect the two center wires together? Thanks all for any help.
    P.S. I suggested along time ago in the forums that someone should start a new category for a motor wiring data base. I know it would get alot of use.

Talking OOPS! Forgot.

Oh! I almost forgot. i would like to wire them bi polar parallel for max torque.

Use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the various wires. Since you have a six-wire motor, three of the wires will go to one coil and three of the wires will go to the other coil. For instance, on an M092-FD09 motor that I have, one coil has Red, Black and White/Red wires. The other coil has Green, White, White/Green wires. The Red and White/Red wires on one coil and the Green and White/Green wires on the other coil are used with Bipolar Series wiring. Either the Red and Black or the Black and White/Red wires on one coil and either the Green and White or the White and White/Green wires on the other coil are used when the motor is wired half-coil. Because the motor only has six leads, it cannot be wired Bipolar Parallel. Bipolar Parallel wiring requires eight lead motors.

If I may be a little blunt, why are you using that old motor? Motors and drivers are the very heart of a CNC machine. Instead of trying to make an old motor work, why not save up $50 - $100 and buy a new powerful square type motor that has a data sheet? Personally, I always use Oriental Motor stepper motors and Gecko stepper drivers in all of my designs. I often tell newbies that they can work one week-end at the local McDonalds and earn enough money to buy a quality stepper driver and a quality stepper motor, or they can spend weeks messing around with old stuff in an effort to make it work. I consider any round motor to be old stuff and not worth much effort. (I keep a drawer full of old Slo-Syn motors and old PK299 motors to show visitors. They're interesting to look at but nearly worthless when serious work needs to be done.)

Thanks for the reply, I had it lying around and its double shaft, Just what I need for my z axis.Tired of moving it by twisting the coupling with my fingers.

1 on 2 on

Quote Originally Posted by Richards View Post
    Use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the various wires. Since you have a six-wire motor, three of the wires will go to one coil and three of the wires will go to the other coil. For instance, on an M092-FD09 motor that I have, one coil has Red, Black and White/Red wires. The other coil has Green, White, White/Green wires. The Red and White/Red wires on one coil and the Green and White/Green wires on the other coil are used with Bipolar Series wiring. Either the Red and Black or the Black and White/Red wires on one coil and either the Green and White or the White and White/Green wires on the other coil are used when the motor is wired half-coil. Because the motor only has six leads, it cannot be wired Bipolar Parallel. Bipolar Parallel wiring requires eight lead motors.
    I can assume this is what the spec sheet refers to as 1 or 2 on?