586,234 active members*
3,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Chess Pawn

Chess Pawn

How would I go about milling a pair of sides for a 2-sided mold for chess pieces? Right now, just a pawn for example. I know that chess pieces would ideally be turned on a lathe but I'd like to create molds for plaster.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

Rather then milling, could you make a positive, then use silicone, or some other castable compound to make your negitive mold? That way, if you can make your part, you can make your mold.

If you just want to pour your own chess pieces, you can pick up a set of ceramic molds that have all the pieces included. They are intended to be used with ceramic slips and the pieces then fired.

If you do a one off on a lathe, it is easy to make a mold from that. Then you can pour multiple pieces. Your final poured material will tell you what the mold needs to be made of.
    Lee

I know that it can be done with silicone/plastic. I'll be trying that too from my positives.

I already have some ceramic chess molds and I'll be using them. But those pieces are already created. I want to do some of my own design - stuff that's not available anywhere else. I think I can draw the parts in CAD, but I think they're too detailed to write my own CNC with normal effort.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com

I think one question is what CAM software are you using? Another would be are you trying to design some 3-D soldier style or more traditional? I believe the normal amount of effort on the soldier style would be complex regardless, leading me to believe you're going more traditional. MasterCAM would simplify the pocketing, but on a traditional style I don't really see where the complications come in.

I'd like molds for the normal Staunton pieces. Plus, I want some other pieces. Knight with a Bishop hat, Knight with a Rook hat, and Knight with a Queen hat.

I've made a few of these from sets that I've bought but I'd rather not have to buy sets to make sets.
    Gary Shepherd
    www.16tracks.com