586,955 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Delta B3 servo and Ethercat communication

Delta B3 servo and Ethercat communication

Hello, is there anyone who has used B3 Delta servos, especially the EtherCat feature? And another question is that even though the B3 series is a newer product from Delta company, why do consumers in the automation field still use the B2 series?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6c4ac5a400.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

Re: Delta B3 servo and Ethercat communication

Hi,

And another question is that even though the B3 series is a newer product from Delta company, why do consumers in the automation field still use the B2 series?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6c4ac5a400.jpg
    I use Delta B2 servos, and the real question is 'why not'. Sure the B3 is newer, and while its competitively priced it is still more than a B2. Is there anything that a B3 can do that a B2 cannot? Not to my knowledge.
    The B3 has a higher resolution encoder....but I'm not even scratching the surface of a B2 encoder resolution, so even more resolution does not excite me.

A2 servos on the other hand have a secondary encoder input to close the position loop, say a glass scale. Now.....if you need that function then I presume you are willing to pay the extra $150USD or so (over the B2)
    to get it.

I have not used Ethercat so cannot answer any question about it....but I was of the opinion that Ethercat is a communication standard and therefore it will work exactly like any other Ethercat device???

Craig

If a machine / system has been developed with a component (e.g B2 servo) then often it is easiest to continue to use that component.

Any change of component requires work as the component is different (even if quite similar) and may require other changes in the machine / system, or at the very least validation.

For hobby use, if price similar, most of us buy the latest / greatest.

B3 has multiple improvements over B2. Delta outlines these quite clearly. Do they really matter for a hobby machine? Probably not, as a B2 servo is not a limitng factor for our hobby machines.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi,

B3 has multiple improvements over B2.
    But exactly what are they? As far as I can see they are all marketing hype rather than anything substantial. Smaller motors and drives....so what?.....faster response and settling time....so what the B2's are
    already ANY amount fast enough.......6000rpm.....I cant use the 5000rpm that the B2's have.....more encoder resolution when I scarcely bother the B2. No doubt the B3 is an improvement but there is nothing
    that I really need.

A2's...well that a different story. If you need that secondary encoder, then the choice is clear.

The only thing about a B3 which I think is an improvement is that the B2 requires an IEEE1394 programming lead, and that there is the possibility of getting the wrong one (of two) and possibly damaging the B2
    drive. I bought a genuine Delta B2 programming lead and have been using it ever since. The B3 uses (I believe) just a plain USB cable which is somewhat more convenient.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    If a machine / system has been developed with a component (e.g B2 servo) then often it is easiest to continue to use that component.

Any change of component requires work as the component is different (even if quite similar) and may require other changes in the machine / system, or at the very least validation.

For hobby use, if price similar, most of us buy the latest / greatest.

B3 has multiple improvements over B2. Delta outlines these quite clearly. Do they really matter for a hobby machine? Probably not, as a B2 servo is not a limitng factor for our hobby machines.
    A couple of days ago, I corresponded with one of the experienced engineers of the manufacturer of CNC machines, and they said about the problems of the b3 series that they had problems about a year and a half ago, and after emailing the Delta company and sending information and receiving the new firmware, they still The intended problems were not solved and they had to replace the servos with b2 series

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

I use Delta B2 servos, and the real question is 'why not'. Sure the B3 is newer, and while its competitively priced it is still more than a B2. Is there anything that a B3 can do that a B2 cannot? Not to my knowledge.
    The B3 has a higher resolution encoder....but I'm not even scratching the surface of a B2 encoder resolution, so even more resolution does not excite me.

A2 servos on the other hand have a secondary encoder input to close the position loop, say a glass scale. Now.....if you need that function then I presume you are willing to pay the extra $150USD or so (over the B2)
    to get it.

I have not used Ethercat so cannot answer any question about it....but I was of the opinion that Ethercat is a communication standard and therefore it will work exactly like any other Ethercat device???

Craig
    In my country, there is no difference between b2 and b3 series in terms of price! I think that this price is the same because of the demand that the market still has for the b2 series, and that the problems with the b3 series still exist, or has the company removed this problem in the new firmware updates?

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

But exactly what are they? As far as I can see they are all marketing hype rather than anything substantial. Smaller motors and drives....so what?.....faster response and settling time....so what the B2's are
    already ANY amount fast enough.......6000rpm.....I cant use the 5000rpm that the B2's have.....more encoder resolution when I scarcely bother the B2. No doubt the B3 is an improvement but there is nothing
    that I really need.

A2's...well that a different story. If you need that secondary encoder, then the choice is clear.

The only thing about a B3 which I think is an improvement is that the B2 requires an IEEE1394 programming lead, and that there is the possibility of getting the wrong one (of two) and possibly damaging the B2
    drive. I bought a genuine Delta B2 programming lead and have been using it ever since. The B3 uses (I believe) just a plain USB cable which is somewhat more convenient.

Craig
    Of course, Delta company covers a wide range of consumers with its b2 series servo motor products, but it cannot lag behind the technology trend of smaller products, easier communication with other hardware, and more speed and performance! Now you can see the products of other reputable companies. The connection between the servo drive and the computer is done through USB type-c (Leadshine servos). This is a procedure that companies have no choice but to implement.