586,966 active members*
3,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Quality of CNC / Woodworking, seeking advice

Threaded View

Quality of CNC / Woodworking, seeking advice

Greetings!

My name is brother Paul, I am a novice woodworker, currently living in a small hut at Mount Athos in Greece. Together with a friend we are trying to work out the production of small scale copies of manual sculptures made by us.

We use a small CNC machine bought from China, it's a YOO CNC or LY CNC model 6040, with an active surface of 600x400mm. We live off grid and have a photovoltaic system of 5kw and since our products are all small we thought this size will be just enough.
    We scanned our first project with an industrial scanner and have a quite good resolution STL file, which then i processed in Artcam 2018. The original file is 10 inches high (26cm) while the copy you can see below is 5.9 inches (15cm).

Being a novice everything is new to me but with God's help i gained quite some production knowledge in a short time span.
    I still have many things to learn obviously but the main scope of this topic is to try to find if my CNC machine is of bad quality or if it is just a matter of correct setup of parameters and fine tuning.

My main problem is that i can achieve decent quality only with very small feed rate, much lower than the ones in the Tool Database of Artcam. As soon as I speed things up a little, I lose accuracy and the project becomes altered with lots of jagged lines, as you can see below.
    Is the loss of quality a limitation of the CNC machine, a problem with the Gcode generated by Artcam or a thing of Mach3?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cruce-77mm.jpg   Cruce-150mm.jpg   Cruce-Originala.jpg   Screenshot-1.jpg  

Screenshot-2.jpg   Ball-Nose-0.5.jpg   Ball-Nose-1mm.jpg