586,384 active members*
3,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > Mitsubishi Meldas 65SM E51 error after restore from internal backup

Mitsubishi Meldas 65SM E51 error after restore from internal backup

Hi,
    Got "server error" problems after the battery failure (this time no warning "battery low voltage")
    3axis vertical machining center with IC (card?) 2007my

Changed the battery.
    Found the 2012 backup in the NC box backup menu.
    Restored.

E51 File open error.
    MDI menu is not working.
    HOSTSET is cleared by the restoration and I input the parameters as before (ftp server) BUT the moment I touch the menu HOST the machine turns off (even the light) and the NC control freezes showing the HOST parameters different from what I input. Only on/off makes it back alive.

I cannot connect via RS-232 (no result) maybe the wrong connectors or parameters (some say need a port directly on motherboard of an old pc).
    My working programs on IC are OK and the machine starts executing them.
    The problem is - I cannot send ANY new programs to the machine so I can't work.

Now I am not sure that even with OK rs-232 the machine will correctly mill.

I found here about MEMORY clear procedure that helps.
    The question is - where is my backup and how to get it to another external place not to be formatted or damaged while that MEMORY clear?
    If it is on some card (IC? How does it look like?) where is it located and can I eject it for reading without damaging the machine parameters?
    And if it is not - how to get the files from the NC Mitsu?

Much appreciate any help or links

Re: Mitsubishi Meldas 65SM E51 error after restore from internal backup

It is unlikely that the RS232 died at the exact same time your battery went out. The greater probability is that your settings are probably wrong. However, setting up RS232 can be tedious and picky, which is why you should always write down the setting on *paper* and stick that in the manual....

I don't know that I understand your comments on the state of the machine. It sounds like you've got programs that were in the machine memory before working again after your restore ("OK and the machine starts executing them"). However, then you say, "Now I am not sure that even with OK rs-232 the machine will correctly mill." What is it that makes you feel that once you are able to upload the programs from your PC to the CNC that they will not work when you previously stated that everything that is in the machine now *is* working? From what I can tell by your description, the *only* that that is not working right now is the RS232 communication, so I'm thinking that I must be missing some important point in your comments or analysis of the machine.

My guess is that the restore you performed wiped out the parameters which are used to setup baud, parity, protocol, etc which are all part of RS232 communication. You should be able to find where you set those up in your manual easily enough. I don't have a Meldas 65SM, but most of the Meldas machines are pretty similar in their design....

The other important question which wasn't addressed in the comments is.... Between the time the machine was working and now, did you mess around *at all* with the RS232 or communications configurations on the PC? If you did, it is entirely possible that the machine is setup properly but the computer is not incorrect. Whenever you mess around with *any* configurations, it is a good idea to record what you changing and what the original values were. Don't rely on your memory. Write down all of this information on paper.

thank you for your reply!
    That might be possible and I was advised to find an old notebook with a direct COM port
    and try to connect again

I am not sure about "milling correctly" because it was just a test of the earlier uploaded programs but not a real work on a piece of metal
    At first it seemed OK but after that I stuck with the broken MDI, dead Ethernet, not saving HOSTSET parameters and freeze upon the HOST click.
    So now I am not so sure it's all correct (at full length) as before.

Thanks to other people (some even contacted me via whatsup) I now know more about the machine.
    I was said the full SRAM clear procedure with switching on the mainboard and checking the LEDs requires a Mitsubishi service cassette which cannot be found by me.
    Otherwise I get all my mchine options lost - they on or off by the manufacturer or a servicemen with such a cassette, i.e. Ethernet might be an option and I wipe it out with the hard reset.

So far I am sure I need to connect via rs-232 (never did that before) or (my idea) get the IC card out and try to read it out with a PCMCIA adapter.
    In the second case I am not sure I'm afraid the card info is energy dependent or the machine can get an error which I'll not be able to delete

I am having a little difficulty trying to figure out exactly what you are saying. pardon me, but it seems like you might be using a language translator?

I am familiar with the earlier version of the Mitsubishi controls, specifically the M3xx model (M3, M310, M320, etc). I can tell you that those have several different types of memory technogies in them. The memory that is the most interesting in the context of our conversation here is the area where parameters are stored. That is in an EEPROM, or electrically erasable read only memory. What others are telling you is correct..... The control complains because the battery level did not have enough power to maintain the SRAM, which is where the *programs* are stored. The control recognizes this fault and (correctly) presents an error to the user. Depending upon how a user reinitializes, or formats, memory to recover from this fault, the user may or may not actually erase the EEPROM. Ideally, you will NOT erase the EEPROM on a machine that is working... especially if you do not have a backup.

If your machine follows the same design principles as the M3xx version, you probably could remove the board from power and not lose anything important. However, I don't really think you'll gain anything in the process.

sorry if i am incorrect speaking
    emotions

1. I have found that 60s models do not start if the mitsubishi cassette is ejected. Why I do not eject it to make a copy - I am not sure I am able to copy or I have required devices.
    2. Still rs-232 connection seems the only method to get ALL1 and other files - so far I cannot connect, either no signal or errors. The M60s manual says that rs-232 file transfers are possible if switches on the back side of Mitsu are in position 1. Is that right - I do not know. Seems strange if I transfer working programs via rs-232 every time I need open the box and work there with a screwdriver. Or that info is only about ALL1, ALL2,ALL3 files transfer? One machinist said never touch that rotary switch if I do not have a service cassette.
    3. So now I am here: the machine can work milling according to programs, ethernet is off, rs-232 is not set, E51 error says I need to format the NC memory but I am afraid to destroy all software including backup. And, the manual posted here says "upload ALL1 parameters before formatting and do not agree to load default parameters". And I do not have the ALL1 and other backup files on the external carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Outwiped View Post
    sorry if i am incorrect speaking
    emotions

1. I have found that 60s models do not start if the mitsubishi cassette is ejected. Why I do not eject it to make a copy - I am not sure I am able to copy or I have required devices.
    2. Still rs-232 connection seems the only method to get ALL1 and other files - so far I cannot connect, either no signal or errors. The M60s manual says that rs-232 file transfers are possible if switches on the back side of Mitsu are in position 1. Is that right - I do not know. Seems strange if I transfer working programs via rs-232 every time I need open the box and work there with a screwdriver. Or that info is only about ALL1, ALL2,ALL3 files transfer? One machinist said never touch that rotary switch if I do not have a service cassette.
    3. So now I am here: the machine can work milling according to programs, ethernet is off, rs-232 is not set, E51 error says I need to format the NC memory but I am afraid to destroy all software including backup. And, the manual posted here says "upload ALL1 parameters before formatting and do not agree to load default parameters". And I do not have the ALL1 and other backup files on the external carriers.

Did you set the RS232 parameters accordingly in the setup? I reloaded the settings a few weeks ago. I had no problem to put the ALL1 file back. My main problem is the toolchanger now, since all the files are gone from that machine. I'm trying to collect the pieces together now to set it up myself.