586,216 active members*
3,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 320x Reset Pin and reading state with controller

Gecko 320x Reset Pin and reading state with controller

Hi All, I'm upgrading my old machine to the Masso system and replaced my servo drives with Gecko 320X units. I've never done anything like this before so I'm well out of my depth but managing so far!

I'm currently trying to set up a motor alarm so that when one of the drives enters fault mode, the masso controller shuts everything off. So far I have wired pin 5 (error pin) on the drives to inputs on the Masso controller. The controller doesn't detect a difference when the drives are in normal or fault mode. According to gecko, terminal 5 should output 0v when in fault mode and +5vdc when operating normally. When measured with a voltmeter (from terminal 5 to power supply negative) I get 2.5v instead of 5V. The controller needs min 5V to trigger the input.

Might be worth noting that the controller and the drives are operating of separate power supplies but the neg terminals are connected.

The controller does trigger the corresponding input when bridging terminal 7 (encoder +5vdc) to terminal 5 so I know the controller isn't the problem.

Not sure what might cause terminal 5 to only output half of what its meant to, any ideas?

Thank you!

Re: Gecko 320x Reset Pin and reading state with controller

The Error signal pin is a strange beast that is both an output and an input depending on the state of the drive.

When you measured 2.5 volts on pin 5 of the G320X was it also connected to the Masso controller?

On the original G320 (not G320X) the internal source of +5 volts fed to pin 5 had a source impedance of about 1000 ohms and this voltage could be lower if significantly loaded. The newer G320X was redesigned using a CPLD device that only supports I/O voltages up to 3.3 volts and that may have caused a change that is not correctly reflected in the documentation. If this is the case it may be possible to avoid the problem by connecting a resistor of about 10K ohms between pin 5 and the Encoder +5 supply pin. Hopefully this will pull the signal up to 5 volts without supplying enough current to override the power on condition that holds the drive reset until a low impedance source of 5 volts is applied.

Also note that the G320X has a feature that allows pin 5 of all drives to be directly connected together so that if one drive faults, all the others are held reset.

That fault signal is common with the mains of the motor. You cannot hook it up directly to inputs on the masso as it will create a ground loop. Please check these boards that will help you wire this:
    https://cnc4pc.com/c86-connector-for...ontroller.html
    https://cnc4pc.com/c34-connector-g320-drivers.html

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Quote Originally Posted by morestuff View Post
    The Error signal pin is a strange beast that is both an output and an input depending on the state of the drive.

When you measured 2.5 volts on pin 5 of the G320X was it also connected to the Masso controller?

On the original G320 (not G320X) the internal source of +5 volts fed to pin 5 had a source impedance of about 1000 ohms and this voltage could be lower if significantly loaded. The newer G320X was redesigned using a CPLD device that only supports I/O voltages up to 3.3 volts and that may have caused a change that is not correctly reflected in the documentation. If this is the case it may be possible to avoid the problem by connecting a resistor of about 10K ohms between pin 5 and the Encoder +5 supply pin. Hopefully this will pull the signal up to 5 volts without supplying enough current to override the power on condition that holds the drive reset until a low impedance source of 5 volts is applied.

Also note that the G320X has a feature that allows pin 5 of all drives to be directly connected together so that if one drive faults, all the others are held reset.
    Amazing thank you, ended up being 1.8k resistors that did the trick. Having some trouble with drives faulting and even the controller restarting for no apparent reason. Could be a ground loop?

Quote Originally Posted by arturod View Post
    That fault signal is common with the mains of the motor. You cannot hook it up directly to inputs on the masso as it will create a ground loop. Please check these boards that will help you wire this:
    https://cnc4pc.com/c86-connector-for...ontroller.html
    https://cnc4pc.com/c34-connector-g320-drivers.html

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com
    Wow, wish I had known about these months ago! Thanks heaps for the info. I'm currently using the masso differential receiver module, do these boards provide the same function?

I've got pin 5 hooked up to the inputs, what kind of problems would I be seeing with a ground loop? Iv'e had a few of the drives fault out and even the controller restart for no apparent reason. Thought it could be power fluctuations but also sounds like it could be ground loop issues.