586,437 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fresh built laser overstepping?

So I just put this machine together. The attached pic is what happens at every direction change. It’s not as bad in the x as it is in the y. It over steps and then self corrects.
    I’ve checked, cleaned, tightened, loosened the belts thinking that was it.
    The laser head was 3d printed so I thought there was some wobble in that so I then made it all out of aluminum. I thought it was the motor mounts flexing so I made those out of aluminum. No luck.
    The overstep is exactly the same regardless of speed and/or location on bed that it is cut. Are the steppers not strong enough to deal with the direction change? If it was backlash it wouldn’t self correct to where it’s supposed to be.
    So that then leads me back to motor or something somewhere is flexing. It also seems to be way more prevalent in vector than rast engraving.
    Any help advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CFC8344-0F40-4AE5-8A9B-F696C0A3A966.jpg  

Re: Fresh built laser overstepping?

Hi Sim - This is to do with your controller settings. What controller do you have? Cut back your acceleration and reduce your tolerance. That may help. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Sim - This is to do with your controller settings. What controller do you have? Cut back your acceleration and reduce your tolerance. That may help. Peter
    This originally was a k40 laser that I made into a 12x24. Really the only thing left is maybe a little wiring. When I did all that I bought the monport k40 board to use light burn. This started happening so I put the k40 controller back in to assuming that it was the monport board. Absolutely same results.

Re: Fresh built laser overstepping?

Hi Sim - Its not a mechanical problem. Its the controller trying to hold its position around the corner. The controller will have a setting for angles or a tolerance setting in the look ahead area. Peter