Getting ready to order the parts for a new plasma cutter. I'm completely new to all this but have a good understanding of software (not CNC software yet though) and programming and some knowledge of electrical but probably just somewhat better than novice.

The plasma cutter will have the normal X/Y/Z axis. The Y axis has 2 motors. In addition to this I am adding a rotary axis for pipe notching. When that is in use the normal X axis won't be used and instead the rotary axis will take it's place. Never will the rotary axis be used at the same time as the X axis. The stepper motor driver someone recommended is the xPro V5 Motion Control System which has 4 drivers.

The rotary axis has different characteristics and I will have to have a different configurations for both setups. Does most CNC software have the capability to maintain multiple setups So that I can easily just switch configurations and plug in the other stepper motor or is this going to be a pain?

My other option is to buy some TB6600 or similar stepper motor drivers and wire each Y axis motor to a separate TB6600 which is then wired to a single output on the xPro leaving the second Y axis driver free to control the radial axis. I thought this would assure that the stepper motors don't draw too much amperage from the xPro and burn it up.

Kind of a secondary question but I was thinking it might be good to have a TB6600 on each line anyway to optically isolate things. Is this a good idea?

I haven't purchased anything yet so I'm open to any suggestions including buying some sort of 5 driver setup. I am a hobbyist so I want to keep the costs within reason though.