586,287 active members*
4,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Vm17 z axis readout off

Vm17 z axis readout off

Hello
    I have a 98 vm17 and the z axis readout is off. When it’s in home position it reads minus instead of plus. I changed the z axis motor thinking that the encoder was messed up but still have the same problem? I raised the z axis up but now I can’t even get the machine to reset with the button. No clicking sound at all and nothing happens when I try to home it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Also the big vfd now says external fault? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Vm17 z axis readout off

Check the z axis limit switch. If you go to (Display) | (Diag) you can look at the different inputs the machine sees. Check and see if there is a 1 on the Z axis limit switch. If that switch is high it will estop the machine, and if the machine is e-stopped I think it will show external fault on the VFD. If it's a stuck limit switch, I think you can press and hold [RESET] and temporarily engage the drive so you can move them around.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried holding the reset button but unfortunately no luck lowering the z axis yet. I agree that it is probably on the limit switch. I will try and look at the screen you referred to and see what it says. Too bad there isn’t a way to manually crank it down a little bit? It was kind of my own fault for raising it that high to begin with. But I am just a weekend warrior at best lol. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks again!.

Ok so I checked what you told me and it says the software is estopped. Now how can I rest the software? I also still have the same problem of the z axis readout saying it is minus when it should read plus when it is all the way up right? The machine did crash while drilling a hole . Not a horrible crash but hard enough to break the drill bit. Could that be my whole problem? How can I get the z axis to read plus again when it’s up in the home position? Thanks for any help anyone could give me as I’m far from an expert on this.