586,512 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How much to torque ww collets? Having some slipping...

How much to torque ww collets? Having some slipping...

Having some trouble with straight flute router bit gradually pulling out of the WW collet on my Servo Products desktop mill (1980's vintage ). 1/4" collet with 1/4" bit cutting cherry wood. It does a great job at first but then the depth starts increasing due to the collet slipping and eventually stalls the spindle if I don't stop it. I have identified part of the problem as a thin coating on the shank of the new bit that acts as a lube that I need to clean off with solvent. But looking for a torque spec for how much I should be tightening these. They are pretty small so don't want to overdo it.

Re: How much to torque ww collets? Having some slipping...

Found some torque specs and manual. The drawbar has a philips head screw and a 7/16 hex. The recommendation is to use the philips drive to tighten to avoid over torque. It says the hex is ok but limit torque to 25 in-lbs. I find it much easier and more controllable to use the hex. Guess I need to find a cheap torque wrench for this range.