586,655 active members*
2,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flow Control Not Working

We have a very old Fanuc 3M control (1982) that has updated ROMs that should allow the machine to execute directly from data coming in through the serial port. However, the machine refuses to take in data when we enable any kind of flow control on the PC, which is needed for this "drip feed" to work. My question is, did flow control even exist in 1982? If not that might be an issue...

If it did then I have reason to believe that our connection from the PC to the control is not configured properly. We are piggy-backing off of a punched tape reader after all.

Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Flow Control Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by WakelessFoil View Post
    We have a very old Fanuc 3M control (1982) that has updated ROMs that should allow the machine to execute directly from data coming in through the serial port. However, the machine refuses to take in data when we enable any kind of flow control on the PC, which is needed for this "drip feed" to work. My question is, did flow control even exist in 1982? If not that might be an issue...

If it did then I have reason to believe that our connection from the PC to the control is not configured properly. We are piggy-backing off of a punched tape reader after all.

Thanks,
    Justin
    You are using a BTR? Behind Tape Reader? Does the machine have a RS232 port?

Ed.

We are using a serial cable that injects bits between the tape reader and the control using an old PC so in a way yes. I suspect that the only connections are RX TX and GND which might be the source of our problem. Works with no flow control selected but is otherwise inoperable.

Justin

The tape reader is a parallel device that reads a block, executes it, etc, not serial. A replacement for the tape reader is a BTR. The BTR may take in a serial stream but it converts to parallel. Drip feading is usually done through an RS232 port. Do you have one of these?

If you want to use the BTR then you are going to have to use whatever the protocol that reader needs. What brand is it?

Ed.

I would recommend using “COMMUNICATION SOFTWARE FOR FANUC CNC”.
    This application for PC for program transfer works with all CNC serial communications.
    You can download from this link:
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/System...or-FANUC.shtml