586,181 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advice, newb question here.

For some reason, I have not been able to figure out how to use the incremental jog feature on my "all soft key Fanuc Om-a" controller or my rapid traverse button for that matter also. I have followed the directions in my downloaded OM manual but I still haven't had much luck with those two features when trying to play in manual mode.

The manual says to activate the Inc jog feature, then select a magnification (IE, x10, x100, x1000, etc), then hold any travel direction and it should move by that magnification step. When I do this, I get no movement. The Led lamp comes on, I select the step, and then nothing happens when I try to move the table. Similar issue with the rapid button, The Led lamp comes on while holding the button down but it travels the same as if I wasn't.

Outside of this, Ive gotten everything else to work in manual mode (basic jog "without rapid", mpg wheel, etc). Does anybody have any suggestion what going on or what I'm doing wrong?

The incremental jog feature is supposed to work this way: You put the control into incremental jog mode (with a magnification amount), then each time you push an axis jog button, the axis moves by that amount. If you have a handle pulse generator, it may be that the jog buttons do nothing, but the handle moves that amount on every "click" of the wheel.

The "rapid" button is only supposed to work when you press it at the same time as pressing a jog button. The normal jog feedrate is controlled with a jog feedrate override rotary switch, but when you press the rapid button, it's supposed to move in rapid traverse.

I don't know if these features work differently when the "all soft key" operator's panel is used, but that's the way they work with a normal "wired" operator's panel.

Is it possible that you have a door interlock, and you are trying to operate with the door open? On some machines this will stop the table from moving.

more detail

I do have an mpg wheel which seems to works fine, so the INC JOG actually could be replaced by the mpg really anyways. The INC JOG would just be nice to keep from accidentally clicking to far like you can on the touchy wheel. It just seems weird to me that I would have the button which lamps up when pushed, but doesn't jog. My magnification steps are all soft key ranging (x1x10,x100,x1000,high). These are the buttons I use to manually jog the table. There is no magnification rotary switch on mine. It makes reading manuals a pain because allot of my buttons are labeled differently from your typical OMa controller as well.

The Only rotary override I have on the whole controller is a feed rate override switch (0 to 150%), which actually is acting a little funny also. for some reason, turning it all the way down doesn't stop the table like it seems like it should... and 70% moves faster than 80,90,100% but that increment seems to be the only trouble spot, so I've been ignoring it since I set feed rates on the PC anyways and really don't need to mess with it that much. For the Rapid thing, Ive been holding down the rapid button first, then holding attempting to jog. Dan, are you saying I literally need to push them both at the exact same moment to activate this feature?

I don't think it can be the interlock because I half of my manual features are working fine but any advice is greatly appreciated as always!

On my O-M control I have to hold the rapid key down then choose an axis direction key while still depressing the rapid key.

All cnc machines I've ran won't let you rapid with the door open.

Then again, I run 840D...

As always, thanks for the info guys but I think I may have left the wrong impression. I have a cnc knee mill and not a VMC, so I don't have a door at all. Since this is the case, its probably not an interlock. I talked to a tech today that said the same thing as Dan regarding the hand wheel replacing the inc jog. feature but he got confused when I told him I have a button for both. I have a button which says (MPG) and to the right I have another which says (INC JOG). I get activity out of the MPG but not the inc jog even despite its lamp illuminating once pressed. The tech suggested it might be a parameter issue, but I don't how it could of got messed up.