Hello

I am trying to make a helical spiral line have become solid so I can boolean it into a cylinder to create something like threads on a bolt. This "bolt" is 9" diameter and 4" long. This is really for a cable drum, so a cable can wrap around the drum like on rollup doors. There is no rollup door drum this size. So I tried to make the grooves by creating a 4.5" radius spiral then create an circle .125 radius as a reference for Sweep. Sweep creates the appearance of what I want, but the end result is a hollow tube and it will not boolean substract from the solid cylinder. If I create a torus with the same diameter, the torus works perfectly but obviously I need a spiral. Is there any way to make the hollow sweep result become solid so it will subtract? The red in the photo is the hollow tube created from sweep wrapping the outside of a cylinder. This would be perfect to create the exact diameter of helical grooves but it will not subtract being hollow. The blue is just an example to show you that the sweep does produce a hollow result. I have V26 and V32. Both do the same result.

Because this is a cable drum and not a bolt, I need a precise radius for the cable to ride in. This will be made on a 3d printer with polycarb.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helical Test Boolean.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	498949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helical Test Boolean 2.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	498951