586,530 active members*
2,816 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > New to Mic6 or tooling/cast plate

New to Mic6 or tooling/cast plate

Hello everyone, I’m needing to machine some fixture plates and pallets. Plan is to make a standard base with locating pins and bushings for a simple cheap pallet system.

I’m reading that mic6, or any ground cast aluminum plates, may be the ticket as it’s considered flat and doesn’t warp. I’ve never used it before though. For a base plate, do i need to mill the face flat on my machine at all? Or, do leave surfaces as is and just drill and counterbore holes to bolt to the table, add the pins as necessary, and start stacking plates on it? I would assume leave as is and just counterbore and add pins, no milling the surface, but I’ve never dealt with this stuff before so I’m not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: New to Mic6 or tooling/cast plate

typically you'd want to machine both sides to ensure flatness but it also depends on the application . If it's being counterbored and bolted directly to the table then I'd probably just face the top surface . If your planning on having threads into the mic6 then you'll want helicoils or threaded inserts , otherwise threads can strip easy or fracture the plate resulting in big chunks being broken off .
    Ideally , it's worth sending it out for hard anodizing because it is a soft material . It's not necessary but it pays off in the long run if it is in constant use

mcmaster sells some nice locating pins and bushing for this sort of thing https://www.mcmaster.com/products/lo...ating-pins-1~/

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    typically you'd want to machine both sides to ensure flatness but it also depends on the application . If it's being counterbored and bolted directly to the table then I'd probably just face the top surface . If your planning on having threads into the mic6 then you'll want helicoils or threaded inserts , otherwise threads can strip easy or fracture the plate resulting in big chunks being broken off .
    Ideally , it's worth sending it out for hard anodizing because it is a soft material . It's not necessary but it pays off in the long run if it is in constant use

mcmaster sells some nice locating pins and bushing for this sort of thing https://www.mcmaster.com/products/lo...ating-pins-1~/
    Thank you so much. Very useful info I didn’t have before. I’ve heard about cast tooling plates and mic6 but never knew how to use it effectively. Big help for me, thank you! And yes it’ll see constant use, it’ll will be bolted down in place and will probably never come back off the table if I can help it.

pour a nice layer of way lube on the table before you bolt it down , you'll thank yourself later

Hi,
    what size is it?

Just a piece of 20mm steel plate plasma cut, then pop it into a surface grinder. Stable and as tough as old boots and way cheaper than cast aluminum.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    pour a nice layer of way lube on the table before you bolt it down , you'll thank yourself later
    Sounds like a very good idea! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    what size is it?

Just a piece of 20mm steel plate plasma cut, then pop it into a surface grinder. Stable and as tough as old boots and way cheaper than cast aluminum.

Craig
    Thanks. Im looking at 12x12x1” plate to start. Possibly increase the size later when it’s been proven. Planned on stacking 2” saw cut aluminum plates on top. I figured I’d mill the tops and bottoms of the plates in case of warping and then install bushings from McMaster. Unfortunately I do not have a surface grinder available but I may be able to get a piece of 3/4” or 1” A36 laser cut drop we have here.

Hi,
    you may not have a surface grinder but whats the bet any number of tool and ide makers in your area do, and 12" x 12" is easily doable.

I got three pieces of 275mm x 275mm x 20mm mild steel plate surface ground, both sides, for $90NZD ($60USD).....so its hardly expensive and they are flat and smooth to within
    0,01mm or better.

Craig

mic6 makes the most sense for dropping a fixture plate on and off a fixed mounting plate .