586,538 active members*
3,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Correct way to flip a workpiece in Fusion 360?

Correct way to flip a workpiece in Fusion 360?

Hi, thanks to all the help I have got from members here I have reached a point where I want to try double sided operations.

The issue I'm having is how to flip the workpiece in the most simple way?. What I am currently doing now is starting a second setup and then changing the view cube so the bottom is the top and then setting the XYZ back to the front left of the stock (that always seems to be a struggle as I wants to reference the model.

I kind of feel like I'm missing a simple "flip workpiece" bottom somewhere!?

Re: Correct way to flip a workpiece in Fusion 360?

Quote Originally Posted by peps1 View Post
    Hi, thanks to all the help I have got from members here I have reached a point where I want to try double sided operations.

The issue I'm having is how to flip the workpiece in the most simple way?. What I am currently doing now is starting a second setup and then changing the view cube so the bottom is the top and then setting the XYZ back to the front left of the stock (that always seems to be a struggle as I wants to reference the model.

I kind of feel like I'm missing a simple "flip workpiece" bottom somewhere!?
    The most common way is to incorporate two tooling pins in your fixture. Then flip the design either vertically or horizontally. The tooling pins need to be incorporated in your cad drawing, some people use three tooling pins but two will work fine.

Hi,
    if there is a better way to flip a part I don't know what it is.

I find that the second set-up takes the same stock model left over from the previous setup but the origin reverts to the original model origin.
    Thus you have to be careful about setting the WCS to the correct location.

In some jobs despite the part being flipped upside the WCS origin needs to remain the same. This is a good way to ensure the top and bottom machining of a part
    are consistent.

In other cases the top WCS may be different to the bottom WCS.

Either way it is appropriate that you set the WCS for every new set-up.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I find that the second set-up takes the same stock model left over from the previous setup but the origin reverts to the original model origin.
    Thus you have to be careful about setting the WCS to the correct location.
    Yes, I think this is the part that is confusing me, guess it comes down to practice and experience.

As long as I'm not just missing a Flip button, I guess I'm on the right track!

Hi Pep - I see you like Mr Giraud, very good. The "set up" is like a flip button. Create a top and bottom setup. In the bottom setup correct the WCS orientation and origin and the rest is simples? Peter

Thank you Peter, you just explained that in such a simple and concise way that I now feel very stupid

Anyone who appreciates Jean is definitely not stupid. Were here to help. Peter

Here's a spoon I'm working on. In the cad model I create a point at the top zero I want and bottom zero I want. I have a toolsetter that is 25mm high so the zero point is 25mm above stock top and 25mm below stock bottom. In this model the zero is at the centre of the stock, sometimes I use corners or other points of reference. So in the set up menu these two points become the WCS origins for top and bottom. Check the X and Y axes are pointing in the correct dirns using "orientations", just above "origin" and the rest is the same as the top work. Good luck. Peter

the top and bottom zero point I place in one sketch each. You can see them in the sketch list. This way I can turn them on/off so they are clear to find in the mess....