586,525 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > PhotoVCarve and VCarve Pro > Gcode Not Running same as preview! PLEASE HELP!

Exclamation Gcode Not Running same as preview! PLEASE HELP!

Hi guys! I am new here as member because I have finally got myself into a pickle I cannot figure out!

I have a Shapeokko XXL and use VCarve. All of my metrics in Vcarve and Carbide Motion are set in Inches. I have quadruple checked this!

I am currently trying to cut out one of the most basic projects I have ever done and it's got me stuck, it's just small 3.6" coasters. The wood I was using was warped so I ran a flattening path first so the board would lay flat on one side, all was fine. I didn't want to flatten the entire board when I didn't need too so I use a 1" planning bit to make a clearance cut of 4" circles down to the correct height I wanted the coasters after I flipped the board. All was fine there as well. I switched bits to a 1/4" endmill to cut the final 3.6" circle of the coasters out. The preview in VCarve was exactly as I wanted it to be. I have not changed the X or Y on the project since the beginning, only the Z when switching bits. I also verified the XY was still the same. I uploaded the final cutout, and hit start. The bit plunged down at the current home XY and began running somewhere in the project. I emergency stopped it because I figured I messed something up. I reset all of Carbide Motion, reset the machine, and double checked the file in Vcarve, and I can NOT find the issue anywhere. I ran it again, same thing happened. Bit plunged at home XY and started running the project. It should be first going across the board somewhere around the top left corner before plunging and that is not happening. I recreated the project in a new file, tried again, same thing happened.

This brought me to looking into the Gcodes I had working, and the ones that are not working. I noticed there is no "G1" "G2" or anything in front of all the coordinates in the Gcodes not working. Is this causing the problem? If so, how do I fix it? And if not, what is going on here? I have spent over 200+ hours on my machine, so I usually know when I mess up and how to fix it. This one I can not figure out. I attached the Gcode for the outside cut I am trying to run, it looks like its just a running set of coordinates without the "G"s which is different than all of my previous working codes that have "G2" "G3" etc.

Please help, I am feeling so defeated on such an easy project and can't get anything done.

Re: Gcode Not Running same as preview! PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I noticed there is no "G1" "G2" or anything in front of all the coordinates in the Gcodes not working. Is this causing the problem? If so, how do I fix it?
    I do not know whether with your particular controller that represents a problem, but for most controllers, my own Mach4 controller for instance, that is not an issue.

Motion codes like g0,g1,g2 etc are modal. Thus if say a g1 is called, all subsequent moves are interpreted as g1's, until and unless another motion command is called, like a g2.
    All subsequent moves are g2 until and unless another motion code is called etc.

A common place to see a modal command is with one of the drill cycles, for example:

Code:
    N00240 G82 X-38.0000 Y16.7000 Z-2.2000 F300   R2.0000  P0.100000
    N00250  X-6.8500 Y33.0500 
    N00260  X-9.4000 Y10.9000 
    N00270  X-18.6000 Y4.1000
    g82 is a drill cycle. The first hole is drilled at x-38 y16.7. The next line just has x and y coords, but because g82 drill cycle is modal the controller interprets the line to drill another hole with the same
    parameters at x-6.85 y33.05, and then another hole at x-9.4 y10.9 and so on.

Craig