586,500 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Old Roland Gravograph Unica rebuild

Old Roland Gravograph Unica rebuild

Hello!

I have an old Roland Gravograph Unica engraving machine and I would like to rebuild it to use Mach3 software. There is in use three 1.8 Deg DC 0,8A Stepper motors. What controller and breakout board would you recommend? Should I change the old stepper motors to Nema 17? AliExpress sells closed loop stepper motor driver controllers but they are meant to be arduino. I would prefer some other breakout boards what designed for Mach3. Maybe someone can recommend a good 3 axis cnc kit.

Thank You!

Re: Old Roland Gravograph Unica rebuild

How many wires come out of the stepper motors?

6 wires.

Hi,
    Sanyo-Denki is a very good name in steppers. With six wires it sounds like they are unipolar which restricts your choice of driver somewhat, most readily available drivers are bipolar.
    If you do replace the steppers get low inductance steppers. At 17 size ideally less than 1mH. High torque is nice, but high torque often and usually means high inductance.....and you do
    not want those. Better off with medium torque but low, even super low inductance.

Mach3 is obsolete. All development ceased eight years ago. If this is a new build then get Mach4. I have been using Mach4 and an Ethernet SmoothStepper for eight years. There are other choices.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/deskc...-software.html

Craig