586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Cutting plywood, problem with circles

Cutting plywood, problem with circles

Hi, I'm not hiding I tested it but I failed due to lack of experience.
    I am at the stage of education and I have a MILL ABC plotter, I know all the problems related to the stiffness of this machine, but I assume that at the stage I am at and for the money I spent it is perfect
    There are 3 things I'm not quite good at.
    1. Cutting out a perfect circle in plywood 18. The one I am cutting, unfortunately, is slightly flattened at a length of 3-4 mm. and regardless of whether this circle is 5, 10 or 20 cm. I'm wondering if the G-Code that Estlecam generates isn't a sham. I use the cutter https://cnc-sklep.pl/pl/p/Frez-CE-2F-6x22x6x70-GL/288 with a feed speed of 1800 mm/min, the smoothest cut I get is the pitch set every 3 mm. As for the spindle speed, I have no idea because it is a DWT 600W spindle and the adjustment is locked at 6 I did not have time to undress and unlock it. Spindle speed range is from 12 - 27 k/min. I combined with a slower feed from 900, but the smoothest edge was at 1800. I plan to buy the same milling cutter for testing, but with a 3-blade one, I'm more concerned about the smoothness of the cut material, so that you don't have to spend a lot of time on machining.
    2. Chamfering with an R4 rounding cutter https://cnc-sklep.pl/pl/p/Frez-OLJ-z...-0706-0001/437. The problem here is that at the point where the cutter enters the material, it is too chamfered into the material and this edge seems to me to be of poor quality. I have the feed set to 1500, spindle speed as above. In general, it may be due to the setting of the tool in Estlecam, but I do zero on a 1mm plate because if I do it directly on the material, I have cut edges as if the tool went too deep.
    3. I cut holes with this finishing cutter, it's probably a mistake and there are probably better and faster solutions. For a moment I was thinking about a planning cutter because drilling is not through and cutting a hole with a diameter of 10 cm and a depth of 11 mm takes well over 15 minutes in a spiral mode at a feed rate of 1800 mm / min. In addition, I set Estlecam to do it by going down to 5.5 mm, but it did it 3 times 4 mm and it came out too deep.

Is there any smart table that tells you what rotations to set for the feed and the type of material?

Re: Cutting plywood, problem with circles

There are many tables that recommend spindle speeds and cutting rates but they may not be relevant to machines that are not as strong as those used for industrial production.there are two reasons for this:the hobby machines may not have the power to cut at such rates and if they are driven too fast,the gantry can flex and this may lead to shapes that aren't totally accurate.You linked to an upcut spiral cutter and I wouldn't recommend such things for cutting plywood as they tend to tear the top surface.I would recommend using a straight flute cutter andkeeping the diameter quite small so that you can make good use of the power of the spindle for cutting the shape you need without having to provide enough motor power to remove large quantities of wood.

I am looking for specific directions, not generalities, a smaller cutter Ok but what initial speeds to cut plywood to set to test and adjust it. The biggest problem for me is setting the r4 rounding cutter with the leading edge.

Re: Cutting plywood, problem with circles

Can you post a picture of your machine?I strongly suspect that you have a flexing problem but haven't been able to find a picture to confirm those suspicions.My initial suggestion is that you try cutting the circle by conventional cutting and then cut the same part by climb cutting.The comparison would provide clues.As I posted,the recommendations from the cutter makers are based on the use of an industrial quality machine,which a hobby machine is highly unlikely to execute well.