586,602 active members*
3,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > What are photo engravings worth?

What are photo engravings worth?

I have posted these in the gallery and asked the same question. What are these worth? I made these for friends and now I have others wanting similar cuts, but I have no Idea what to charge. The boards are 11x14 popular.

Also I need help with cut times, what is a good reselution to use for the cutting, and how do I get a high resolution photo down to these settings?

Any information that you could provide would be great.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0597.jpg   DSCF0599.jpg  

I'm not sure I can help with how much you should charge?

Any chance you could carve a photo for me?

Both of the photos that you posted look GREAT! I really like how you framed the image.

Good job..my friend... I dont know the price but it depends upon many factors... ur material, time, machine break downs, CAD work etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tdnp View Post
    I have posted these in the gallery and asked the same question. What are these worth?....Any information that you could provide would be great.

Thanks,
    The correct question is not what are they worth but what did it cost to make them. How long did they take to make and what is the hourly rate you charge for machine time?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Do a boat - then its a "Marine Part" you'd get to mark up you costs 50-100X!
    Else seems like much of the "normal" world is maybe 10-20X your costs. Material, time, overhead, and a bonus for special needs! Great images.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

The correct question is: What are people willing to pay for them?

$1.50 per square inch. How's that?

JR

Here's one downside: you might want to read all the fine print:

http://www.elvisphotos.com/legal/

I recall back in the early 80s: An airbrush artist in "my home town" (as jimmy would say), was making money hand over fist. Custom t-Shirts of Garfield (the cat not the President), Big bru-ha-ha, never got whether he was fined/sued/ or left alone - but clearly the Copyright owner was not impressed with the income stream he was missing out on.

SO might want to pad the price with a legal fund - or use "safer" materials. Don't know the Elvis on velvet guys get away with it -- oh yeah right they get deported - Ha!

:cheers: Jim (with a chuckle in there I hope...)

Here's some others I found - Interestingly the UK doesn't care:
    http://lazycarrot.com/copyright.html
    you could say its a "likeness - or simulation...
    http://www.schleimerlaw.com/ELF2Synthespians.htm
    and the others:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...23/ai_93215507
    "The plaintiffs are now proceeding with our case for damages," added Hedges, who recently represented Mel Gibson and Leonard Nimoy in litigation cases involving image likeness and copyright.

BTW I bet 80 bucks might sell out at most flea markets - looks real quality. Got any NASCAR?
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks for all the help and info. I will not be making these in mass production. Most people want them of thier own family. Yes, these are only a likeness to the original and the cost is for the runtime on my machine not the pic, it is free. Thanks again

Tim

Its all good untill they come a knockin

Nice work. From personal experance and a smaller bank account, one must be careful of using copyrited images in ANY form. You can "gift" them, and get donations but......selling them is a problem. Think of the bright side, Christmas is cheaper by far with your skill set.
    Tim
    Its all B.S. untill its built!

Tdnp,
    Getting back on topic, after all the copy write discussion is over, you are just wondering how much a wooden photo is worth. Instead of Elvis, your photo could be a persons mother or daughter. You are wanting to know how much to charge. Is that correct?

Frankly, I like the idea of $xx per square inch for a basis. At the rate of $1.50 per square inch, an 8 x 10 would cost $120. That seems fair.

yeah. for friends maybe 1/3rd or 1/2 that.. i dont know how fast your machine is.. but i would be loathe to make too much $ creating such things for friends..

however, glider, your signs look great! i bet you could make a bundle off pub owners, novelty type places, and others who want that sort of signage and are shocked by the $500/sign price allot of sign shops would charge for that stuff.

market drives price, as does demand. but with friends and family other stuff drives price!
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Thanks glider that is what I am looking for, the pictures on the site or only examples. They were gifts. I was curious for pictures that the customer supplies. Thanks for bring us back on target.

what?

what you REALLY have to ask yourself is...

"Who has the right to copyright elvis presley"? I could see if you stole a song and the music biz sued you, but a picture? What picture? Who has that authority to say the picture belongs to them? I could have taken a picture of Elvis with the same pose and I just so happened wanted to machine that out.

Nice job TDNP

How long did it take to machine?...
    What program are you using for your CAM?
    What cutting bits are you using...

Regarding how much to charge.... apply an hourly rate of say, $60. plus materials. That would be a fair price for a non commercial operation.

cheers

Frans

I do some photography and the same copywrite laws apply to a pro photo of grandma at the wedding as they do of elvis and garfield...just becareful.

Look great! I would say $90-$140 depending on the market value.. Maybe to bypass any copyright laws, maybe set up a booth at a craft show or flea market and set a rate for doing up personal pictures for people. They can email or drop a picture off and payment to you and pick it up when its ready..

Tip: These would be a perfect graduation gift..(picture of the grad and the school enblem) or birthday gift (picture of the person and age or something like a baby pic with some baby blocks carved..) ideas are endless...

Elvis lives...

Maybe you could sell carvings of *ELVIS IMPERSONATORS*. They are not copyrighted, and wow, they look just like him!